Serious under extrusion, cant find the problem

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Falc.be, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

My bigbox is suffering from serious under extrusion and after some some time, the extruder clogs up

I am still working with the benchy that was on the SD card, and am using what I think is the PLA red from the stretch box

so far all my benches have come out pretty horrible

what i have done so far:

- I have calibrated the esteps for the filament several times, right now its at 263.3
    - Disassembled the hotend put in a new nozzle
    - played wilth flowrate and temperatures between 190 and 230

voltage setting on extruder is 0.57 volts
    need some new tips

2. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

First thing I would do is download a new Benchy from Thingiverse and re-slice it in either S3D or Slic3r. I have had issues with the way that model was sliced and the gcode that is embedded within.

I'm not saying this will solve your issues, but it will establish a new baseline for testing.

3. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Guess you were running into the same trap I did with my dual. 263 is to little. When calibrating the second time, don't take the first value again for calculation.

4. Falc.be

actually i got it spot on with 263

i also has the same problem with steps over 300

#4 Falc.be, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  5. Falc.be

recalibrated again, now its 288

is it maybe possible the gocde that comes with the SD card was done with a single extruder profile ? I have read you can get weird results if you do that

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I used E3d PLA for my benchy and the esteps was spot on 304 !

I wonder why your extruder is like going super fast during the calibration? And then unable to maintain the same during printout?

Is the extruder stepper driver voltage correctly set?

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

For me, estep calibration seems a little hit and miss. I recommend creating yourself a little test square of a few layers. Use your eyeballs to watch the extrusion quality on those first few layers. Tweak it from the LCD with Tune > Flow. Once you have it how you like it, record the esteps and the flow rate that gave you the look that you're after. Don't be too quick to judge layer 1 either as that's typically compressed. You don't want too much extruded here as otherwise you've got rubbish in the way of the print for many layers. Starting from about layer 3 things should have calmed down and you can tune the flow to your liking.

mike01hu likes this.