Setting the Z-height without baby-stepping

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by richgain, Oct 25, 2016.

1. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

Now that my printing has become much more stable and predictable (thanks to the triple combination of MBL with Alex's firmware, using PrintBite on the bed, and moving the Z-axis sensor onto the print bed) there is one more little thing I would like to iron out if I can.
    Every time I start a print I have to use the Baby-stepping menu option turning Z back to -160.
    Every print.
    What can I do to bake this setting into firmware or Simplify 3D scripts so that I can kick off a print without actually having to be in the room?

2. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

If your probe is consistent a new MBL should fix it.

3. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Yes, it should sort itself out.

You can set a z offset in the control>motion menu but if you can avoid it, keep it zero.

4. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

I know, it should. But I have repeated the Mesh Bed Levelling exercise several times and I always find that I get the best first layer if I set the nozzle 200 babysteps lower after the print has started.

5. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I have had this answered before but I can not find it on the search when using the control>motion>Bed Z is - towards the hotend or away from it?