Sharing Simplify 3D Profiles for BigBox

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by JohnEsc, Mar 4, 2016.

1. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Chris Toast brought up a good idea on the Google+ BigBox Community to have a repository to share S3D profiles that you are using successfully with your BigBox. Being an educator, sharing with others is what MOST of us do best. I have attached the two S3D profiles that I am currently using successfully with MY BigBox Pro for PLA and PETG.

NOTE: you'll want to check the settings for yourself before using it so no damage is caused to your prints or printer. The profile files attached are for the BigBox Pro, NOT Dual. Please use your own discretion as to whether you would like to use these profiles or not.

Attached Files:

Mike Kelly and Chris Toast like this.
  2. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

John that is very nice of you. Now I just need to get my BigBox after everyone else gets theirs shipped. lol

JohnEsc likes this.
  3. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

Nice, I like where this is going.

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

John's PLA is about the same as mine except he has tweaked his support settings more.

His retraction speed is slighly quicker (75 vs 70) and he retracts 1.5 instead of my 1.4.

Note - His profile has the Z speed at 3mm/s when it can be upped to 6mm/s if you have done this in firmware.

eca and JohnEsc like this.
  5. JohnEsc

I look forward to the day when I can understand the great information you're always sharing with us!!!! LOL Hate being a noobie! LMAO

6. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Nothing special, just noting the differences between our profiles, I dont think it merits me posting mine too. Especially as I'm still experimenting/tuning it.

Support and the z speed settings arent really here nor there. The retraction ones could potentially make a difference though, of course, you need to have some good steps/mm and extrusion multiplier setup first though.

Edit: Also - Your prints are fantastic so not that noob!

JohnEsc likes this.
  7. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

As long as I can get a nice solid first layer. That is the issue I always have with Simplify.

JohnEsc likes this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Simplify really let's you tune the first layer. Key thing, above all the bed prep stuff; set the first layer's layer height under 100% (i.e. slightly lower than it should be - I use 75%), and set the first layer extrusion width slightly higher than it should be, say 125%. This will push a little more material onto the bed for layer one. Tweak that until you're good.

PsyVision and JohnEsc like this.
  9. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Should make this topic a sticky. You should also state details of the brand, type, color, and step adjustments for the filament. These are factors that will be in play.

10. JohnEsc

I wanted to share my Colorfabb XT profile that I finally have tuned and printing really well after tons of failures!
    Use as a guide, not all settings will work for everyone. Pay really close attention to the 1st layer settings and the GCode settings are for the PRO, not DUAL. I have also customized the Starting and Ending Scripts.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Nice job. Thanks for sharing...

JohnEsc likes this.
  12. Kingdom48

Kingdom48 Member

John
    Thank you for sharing this. I wish I had found this part of the forum earlier. I have had great success with PLA but am keen to graduate to 'engineering' plastics especially Nylon. I am not sure how the forum relates to Google+ so I will thank you there as well.

JohnEsc likes this.
  13. Sephirox

Sephirox Member

Anyone has a good BigBox Dual profile I can start playing with. Would appreciate it.

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just started my BigBox Setting repo on Github:
    https://github.com/Alex9779/BigBox-Settings

Only a dual profile included at the moment and the start, end and tool change script.

It is the very first try. I tested it in S3D and the drop down selection should work properly adding and removing start/end/tool change scripts when using the extruder selection.
    The material selection has only some generic values and cooling options not tested with any material!
    The quality selection is just some predefined stuff and not yet tested and all the same for all materials.

15. Sephirox

Sephirox Member

Thanks will check it out; I just order mine today so who knows when it will arrive =(

16. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Hey @JohnEsc

I see ColorFabb have you printing XT at 255C

Do you remember what their reasoning was for that?

(I started at the bottom of the range for XT - 240C - and am still printing at that.)

17. JohnEsc

Honestly, they didn't give me a great deal of info but said that XT could handle up to 270c or more without issues, he recommended 255-260 with the E3D V6. He also suggested the following which I'm pasting here... "One thing that you can look at is the Extrusion Width, which auto's to 120% of nozzle size. For your 0,4mm nozzle setting it goes to 0,48mm. With the higher melt strength of the material, it will flow less than PLA.
    Please try printing with a 0,4mm Extrusion width to see if this improves the visual quality of the print. If so, you can start trying to expand of course up to what you find acceptable visual quality. To not limit printing speed too much you can use the Infill Extrusion Width to create wider infill lines, but for first testing I would suggest leaving it at 100%."

18. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I'm immediately going to start working with 255. So will probably have to start upping my fan.

Don't quite understand what he's saying about extrusion width.... even to the point where it doens't sound quite right. I often have that setting in the 0.6-0.8 range (on my 0.4 nozzle), laying down nice wide tracks.

Richrap pointed out there's a flat bit on the tip of the nozzle that allows you to go up to 2.5times the nozzle diameter (though at that limit I find it sloshes a bit on the corners....).

What we did discover (in another forum) is that many filaments need an Extrusion Multiplier to get an appropriate level of extrusion, even after e-steps is calibrated. My extrusion multiplier for XT is 0.9

mike01hu likes this.
  19. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

XT is making my extruder skip like crazy, do i need to increase increase the amps on the stepper driver ?

20. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the infill and wall settings are for the BigBox parts?