Short Motor Shaft and the Aero

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Jeffrey Drake, May 10, 2017.

1. Jeffrey Drake

Jeffrey Drake New Member

I have a pancake motor with a relatively short shaft. When putting the thing together I noticed that the arm that goes above the direct gear on the shaft has enough space to work its way out.

I was thinking I might be able to print something to go on the end of the motor and hook up with the aero heatsink, but it isn't my favourite solution.

2. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Unfortunately the idler arm is subject to quite a bit of force when extruding, especially when you increase the tension. You could try printing a plastic part and attempt to bridge from the shaft to the lid, but ideally you want the shaft to go all the way into the lid to provide all the support possible to the idler and pinion. The Titan Aero might work without this, as the lid is designed to push the idler against the pinion, but in the long run, the end of the motor shaft will wear the inside of the idler and probably fail quite quickly.
    Also, if you are using a mounting bracket, the added thickness might be one of the factors contributing to your shaft being slightly too short. You could look at using other mounting options which would allow you to mount the Titan directly on the face of the motor.