Short tool paths

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

So I get great results so long as the tool path for the tool is not real small. A small tool path within a multi tool print and it just blobs up real bad. IMO... it's the compression on the filament thanks to the use of the Bowden approach. The compression on the extrude then the lack of control afterward makes for ZERO minute extrude control at the hotend. I guess this explains why the sample prints we've been shown before the kit's release were all larger prints?
    What do UM users do? However, UMs use the larger diameter filament so probably not a fair comparison.
    I don't don't see this getting better until we get DD tools. Too bad. :-(

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Try using pressure advance, its main purpose is to counteract that compression.

mhe likes this.
  3. Andy Cohen

ooo... Another interesting Duet thing to experiment with!!

4. Andy Cohen

An interesting thing to play with. It increases the effect of acceleration and seems to apply acceleration to a retraction.
    The problem is,.... this happens with the hotend right on the print with no motion while it slowly retracts. In the meantime the heat from the nozzle melts the surrounding area. It also does not actually help all that much with the extrusion control for tiny tool paths. I suspect the only thing that will really make the difference is to replace the Bowdens.

5. Andy Cohen

Finally got power back!
    I saw the paragraph at the end of the page on the Duet site about retraction. So I am trying again with retraction set back from 4mm to .5 and I am running the Benchy again.

6. Andy Cohen

Nah. No work. Small tool paths are a meh when it comes to Bowdens.