Shorter bowden path for Hermera.

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by John Meacham, Jan 30, 2020.

1. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

I made this guide for the bowden tube leading to a hermera that provides a much shorter and straighter path for filament. It loads from the back of the roll on tool 2, it should be mirrorable for tool 3. Although it is harder to load since it is far in the back, you have to use a lot less force to push filament through by hand so it evens out. and I don't get horrible creaking noises from the filament being pulled all the way along the default path used for the titans.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4134689

out2.jpg

#1 John Meacham, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Rob Heinzonly and Nibbels like this.
  2. Paul Meyer

Paul Meyer Well-Known Member

Cool design, thanks for posting it!

Just a terminology question: are you really using a bowden tube her? Or is this a clean path for a PTFE guide tube for filament to the "direct drive" Hemera?

The meaning could vary, but for me "Bowden" meant that the extruder was in a fixed position away from the moving hot-end, and the "bowden tube" was the PTFE tube between them.

Killercds likes this.
  3. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was using bowden sloppily. It is just PTFE tube used as a filament guide. But it is sold as "bowden tube" and usually used for that. I guess just "shorter hermera PTFE guide" but that is kind of akward. It's a little odd since the titan design as ptfe on both sides turning from guide to bowden halfway through but people will refer to the whole thing as a bowden tube. Cleaned up the terminology on the thing some.

4. Paul Meyer

No problem. The only reason I noticed is because I happen to have two Hemeras: one mounted as a direct drive, one mounted as a bowden (custom mount on the top) with a "real" bowden tube.

Pretty much everybody else would never use a Hemera/Bowden on the TC, only direct drive, and will completely understand what you meant.

5. GoffyOne

GoffyOne Member

Would´t it be possible to have the spool directly on the rear wall beneath the extruder.
    The clearance is 10mm less then on the side but with a bracket that fits inside the spool it should be possible.

6. Paul Meyer

I currently mount my spools on the table behind the printer (on rollers). They feed directly up to the Hemera Bowden (no PTFE tube before the Hemera), and for the direct drive Hemera the filament hits a PTFE tube just before the top surface to take it out through the braid bundle to the Hemera.

My mid-term plan is to have all my filament for directly above the printer (12-18" above the top) and have straight down wire/filament paths from that shelf to the printer heads.