SOLVED Side Panel (Left) Which Way Does the "L" face?

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Sometimes the instructions are brilliant sometimes just a little is missing that the first time builder has to ponder over.

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Printer_Sub-assemblies

When we come to Frame Assembly which is quite straightforward little things like which way the "L" on the left panel faces ............ towards in the inside or the outside?

If you flip the left upper support over 180o then it will obviously fit from the other side of the side panel.

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Outside I believe. The box only goes together one way so it shouldnt be too tricky.

3. Old_Tafr

Thanks........ I guess if you look at the photo and assemble it that way its is maybe unambiguous.

4. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I used the back plate as orientation... the 1 and 2 must be read able from the printer from so left and right have only one way to fit in.

5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Again a few more pics in each step would be super helpful. Not sure why they economized so much. If you look at the x-carve directions every step has many pics from close and far...

mike01hu likes this.
  6. Old_Tafr

In some cases there are too many pics, in most cases they are also short on text. Instructions are for people who have not done something before. If you have done something before and there is extra text then you can ignore it, but if you have not done it before and there isn't sufficient explanation then you can't invent it. (and sorry but there are some glaring spelling mistakes)

The picture sequence for a particular assembly is to my mind often the wrong way round, it often starts with a close up shot and after three or five pics you see the completed assembly. Better would be to show where the X-idler attaches to the Y-Axis drag belt limit switch heater GOES (because I'm a new builder and I DON'T KNOW) and THEN get to the detail.

If you add the few minutes I spend at various stages trying to figure out where something fits then add a couple of hours to the quoted build time. Instructions need to be precise. e.g. The belt fits here with the teeth upward.

There are a number of examples of confusing text, those related to fitting belts the right way up, others include the correct orientation of drag chains, some with use 10mm set screw and the next use 12mm.

These are all minor points that should not detract from a build process that is good and parts which fit together extremely well without any or at most very minor fettling.

mike01hu likes this.
  7. Sgllama

Sgllama Active Member

I have to agree with the general sentiment that more photos would be good - I am also spending a lot of time working through the photos to see if I can spot a useful detail in a later shot. I've ended up spending a couple of hours so far on the PC just downloading the full-size images from the Wiki into a directory I can scroll through on an old tablet next to the BB.

So to add my wish about the photos: please give them filenames that run in the same sequence as they are used in the text. The old BASIC programmers' trick works well: instead of "Dual_springs.jpg", "Dual_parts.jpg", "Dual_right.jpg" use "100_Dual_springs.jpg", "200_Dual_parts.jpg", "300_Dual_right.jpg" then it is easy to slip another one into the middle of the sequence later on.
    [This is the sort of thing that is a right pain to fix manually in a Wiki but - depending upon how the Wiki files are stored - ought to be reasonably easy with a quick script/batch/program working over the raw files].

Oh, and an easy to use page to download them from en masse - r/o FTP for example; this may already exist but I've not spotted it so far.

Stefan and mike01hu like this.
  8. Old_Tafr

Black printed parts don't make for good photographs, and I often find the camera angle has meant that a reference point has been hidden making it more difficult to see how a part is fitted.

I find that I often have to A. Find the overall picture photo, then on that B. Enlarge it sufficiently to possibly make out some detail. I have not found anything that can't be figured out by a bit of observation, studying the photos and some logic as to how many ways a part could fit, but all this takes time and you stand a chance of assembling something incorrectly meaning you have to dismantle it later when other parts have already fixed around it.

mike01hu likes this.
  9. Henry feldman

I also love captions like "this part is upside down"... Is that because you only could take the photo once, and after that your camera broke? Or is being upside down important to assembly?

mike01hu likes this.
  10. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

To be fair... making guides/instructions is not an easy thing, especially when you know your stuff.
    It is hard to think like "What do I need to know if I never did it before?".
    Its like when I build my first reprap I had ZERO idea which is the X and Y axis and where min and max on them where, Z was clear.
    That is why we are here helping each other and the guide is updated from time to time.

This is a wild guess, but i think E3D is not a multi billion company with a 50 departments and one of them is only working on the guide.
    If you want that go buy a makerbot :)

mike01hu likes this.
  11. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

So true. Writing guides as the developer is very difficult, particularly when you have no knowledge of the capability and experience of the target audience. I have followed this from almost Day-1 and sympathised with those less experienced constructors and admired the patience of the @Greg Holloway, @Sanjay and the others in the BB team in dealing with the issues. There is no doubt that this project requires better skills and understanding than some other kits have required but how does the BB team assess this? Many lessons learned I think . . . and yet to receive my own experience!
    Mike

12. Henry feldman

That being said a few extra pics stepping back and showing the assembly as a whole from multiple angles and detail pics, as well as not showing pics which require captions like "the part is shown upside down" is a more obvious feature of documentation (especially digital wiki style where edits are trivial). In addition as the community finds errors, or takes better pics, not sure why the wiki is not updating to fix the pics. I am constantly searching the forum to find corrections that other people ask about and are answered that yes it was a mistake. Well the advantage of digital documentation is it takes seconds to fix. Annoying to do, sure, but necessary. It gets harder and harder to go back and the corrections/enhancements now are a very long list.

mike01hu likes this.