Sigh, level compensation problem again...

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Henry feldman, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

So take 3: the printer stops using the bed-level map. I had a 26 hour print seem "OK" at quick glance, but was fragile and the infill didn't really attach to the outline. So figured that maybe it was too humid (it's raining today and the house is open as I have the HVAC contractor working on running new ducts) so tried again, and this time noticed that the Z-axis lead screws weren't turning to compensate for the level (but I guess unfortunately/fortunately my bed is pretty level so it sort of worked). The only solution I have found is to reflash, do reset back to defaults and start from scratch. If it happened once, I'd say "act of god" but 3 times the firmware has become corrupt? It's great that we are constantly inventing new iterations of the printer, but basic reliability is suffering here...

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

it'd be great to get to the bottom of this, I still suspect that it's related to writing operations on the flash as aside from worn flash that's about the only reason I've seen for corrupt atmel, and I've put some of those chips in very hostile environments.

What software level are you on again henry ? and if it's RC6 or 7 is print job logging enabled down near the bottom of your configuration.h ?

It seems an unlucky few get this repeatedly but others (including me) never see it. I can't imagine a board level fault that would corrupt the flash in this way, only a bad chip or something such as software version

3. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

It won't be of any help for you now, but since I upgraded my printer with a DuetWifi board, printing has become really fun. Bed leveling is superb, thermal runaways are something from the past, and flashing new firmware can be done on the fly. And the same goes for all the other configuration.h related parameters.

Alex9779 likes this.
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Ya I can tell the same, the DuetWifi is a worth to be called a decent upgrade making the whole BB experience smoother.
    With the DuetWifi the steppers are so quiet, setup is nice if you get it how all those gcodes work. Though there are different challenges with it as some of the heating logic is a bit different or printing dual with the tool change macros. But as you may have notices I called it "challenges", there's nothing so far which was not solvable. You gotta think a little different if you are used to Marlin so...

@Greg Holloway also recommended it in a recent post. I am curious if we will see a new BB version featuring the DuetWifi and not the RUMBA.

PsyVision likes this.
  5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw that too Alex. Duet is definitely the way forward and will be a new year present to myself :)