Simple Fast CAD Programme?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Old_Tafr, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

First print worked like a dream. This is really encouraging.

Now I need to make some simple items first being some small wheels to mend the kitchen draws.

TinkerCAD or ?

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

If you're a programmer, OpenSCAD will be perfect for creating simple shapes and can do so much more. For more complex geometries, I use Fusion360. I've tinkered a little with OnShape too, but not really got fully to grips with it yet.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

My best effort was Perl :) but years ago, Fusion 360 I started a while ago and stopped as the training info was painful, but that may be the final solution after this simple job.

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

If you know Perl, OpenScad will be like a joke. Try it, it's nice!

Spoon Unit likes this.
  5. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

123d design, free.
    once you master it, move to
    fusion 360, free.

6. MikeP-NZ

MikeP-NZ Member

Look up onshape. It's pretty easy to use and has good training resources

7. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I'd actually say to just skip 123D and go directly to fusion. In many regards it's actually easier to use and the more advanced features can be ignored. There are a few reasonable tutorials on YouTube to get started.

8. Dr Jeep

Though keen To try on-shape as well sometime.

9. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Go straight to Fusion360. Watch a few screencasts and jump right in.

No point in learning more than one tool since the real difficulties are simply learning the oddities of the software - which every software - great or small - has.

10. Stigern

Stigern Well-Known Member

Fusion 360 is free? From what I can find it's a trial then 25$ each month. I'll give it a go anyway :)

11. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

It's free until you make more than $1500 a year from the output from it. Something along those lines.

12. Dr Jeep

Yup free but you have to renew and reconfirm the free licence terms every year, I can't remember the rule either but do remember it was something I was unlikely to fall foul of. Of course it's a subscription licence so the terms could change by the next renewal and it may not be free forever, but then to be honest even the paid for version is fair value I think.

It ain't no solidworks but then go and look at what that costs per year. It has a few bugs and annoyances, but it gets updates every month. I think actually they have hit a bit of a sweet-spot between functionality and complexity that everything else seems to miss (though on-shape looks similar) and identified a target market of 3D printing hobbyists and makers that Dassault have decided to ignore....at their future peril I'd say if I were a betting man.

mike01hu likes this.
  13. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I have tried a several programs and I agree I love fushion 360, there are a lot of good video tutorials to get you started.

14. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

Another vote for fusion 360.

We should really set up a shared folder for us all...

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I vote for OnShape, usable everywhere.
    Though I am working most of the time with SolidWorks... Ok I work at a SolidWorks reseller and I have all SolidWorks software available but.
    I am not really pleased with the Fusion360 license because I run a small business and you gotta pay for commercial use. It would be a bit hard to define for me where the private use ends and the commercial use starts...

16. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Wouldn't anything you sell be concidered commercial and anything to freely distribute or keep to yourself be a hobby? On the other hand I see the benefit to avoiding the delema altogether.

The downside to onshape is also it's stregth, that being you have to use the internet to use it. There are times when I am traveling I simply don't have access to a quality internet connection.

17. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

I use OnShape most of the time (started by the SolidWorks original guys, who are 10 minutes down the street from me) and they are really great guys. Fusion360 I find somewhat busy as a UI, but can do most of the things I need to accomplish in it as well, just takes me longer than OnShape. And OnShape is everywhere (I mean how cool is it to be sitting in a meeting, whip out your phone and do full parametric mCAD that is simultaneously updating live on your desktop back in your office!!!!)

mike01hu likes this.