Simplest way to Mod Original Dual BigBox for Faster Printing?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Old_Tafr, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have an original Kickstarter Dual BigBox, apart from generally wanting to speed up printing I need to do a demo, given the maximum time of one hour I would like to be able to complete a print of a Raspberry Pi enclosure similar to this...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:922740

What is the simplest mod I can make to speed up printing?

2. Julian64

Julian64 Active Member

Its a good question. I would say the simplest mod you could make would be to turn your printing speed up in simplify from the norm of about 2700mm/min. In order to do this you would have to turn up the heater on your prints to allow the V6 to melt the volume/second you were trying to put through it.

I'm sure the volume/sec that the V6 can melt limits the mm/sec the extruder can push, and this in turn is the limiting factor for the speed the axis can move.

3. Springfield-Jack

Springfield-Jack Well-Known Member

Use a larger nozzle.

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Even without a larger nozzle, you could increase the extrusion width. A 0.4 nozzle can print well at double the width and, with relatively simple geometry can be trusted up to 1mm. That alone could knock out a lot of print time. Layer height is the next obvious way to increase speed. Again, watch the geometry and inspect the print plan to ensure this doesn't result in mid-air printing. I suspect the mode you have in mind will print well with a wider extrusion and increased layer height. If you really want to pump plastic stupidly fast (i.e. ever more width and layer height) then consider a volcano nozzle.

Using S3D I got the rpi-bottom_netfabb model down to a 41 minute print, which would probably end up around 45 to 50 minutes. That's fairly fast considering. If you pre-demo print the other half ("here's one I printed earlier") then you'll have given the full demo of 3d printing and have a complete model to show accuracy and fitting for screws.

Just re-did that, and I'd probably just go with a 47 minute print, which should complete within the hour. You could nudge up the print speed at the ghost of a little ghosting to get the result out quicker. To get this, I set up a standard 0.4 mm nozzle with Auto width and 0.3 layers, then used a different setting for the bottom 2.1 mm of print, instead selecting a 1mm extrusion. That was the only change. Print speed set to 3000mm/m. Just increase that in the printer control during the print. There print will have quite a bit of stop start, which will give additional melt time so I don't think you'll need to mess with the temp.

#4 Spoon Unit, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Old_Tafr likes this.
  5. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Any mod you could do will take more than one hour.

Optimising the print settings as mentioned here is the quickest solution.

But a mod to enable you to print faster would be about lightening the X / Y carriage. Convert to dual bowden with maybe a chimera would be the simplest and quickest way to speed up printing. This would allow you to increase the acceleration somewhat.

6. Old_Tafr

Confusion here, it was the simple print time had to be one hour (ish), not the time for the mod.

The print is for an exhibition, where we have limited time and need to show more than just a static printer.

7. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

thicker layers, increased extrusion width(does not work the same with different filaments, some can do only 150% while others can do 300%(thats 1.2 mm thick)), faster non print moves, less or no infill, you can increase the allowed speed significantly if you remove the direct extruder if you have the hybrid, make sure your belts are tightened and bring spear belts!!!

8. Old_Tafr

Will be using Edge filament

9. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

Not sure about it, but i do know petg can go 300%, test it out

10. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

300% is bit extreme. Layer one probably fine. Vases probably fine. The model in question ..... probably fine actually. Overhangs . nope. Bridges .... lol ... send me the pic of that happening.