Simplfy3d - any news on when backers will get the license key?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Pierce, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Hey Bigbox team,

no rush just curious if there are any updates on this software as I would love to start using it with my existing printer and to get some experience with using the software!

thanks,
    Piece

2. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm on it - hopefully some time this week..

Been busy ordering everything else that needs to go into your printers.. :)

Cheers,
    Josh

Chris Toast and Pierce like this.
  3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Thats great news! I can't even imagine how much of a logistical headache it must be getting all the parts in so appreciate the update

4. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

As a complimentary add-on, I'd like to point the attention of the esteemed readership here to a CAD-software product that I discovered for myself the other day. Best of all: It's free for most of us (assumed): Autodesk Fusion 360. Free for students (3 year licence), hobbyists, startups, enthusiasts (1 year licence, renewable). See more here.

It combines the best of several CAD- and 3D-design programs and comes from the people who brought us AutoCAD, Inventor etc. - a professional background. No, no relationship to / with Autodesk on my side of any kind.

Cheers,

Ulli

5. thingster

thingster Active Member

I'm a long time MoI3D user but development of that tool is slow and it needs years that it comes up with new functions. Do you have any experience with it and how it compares to Fusion 360?

6. UlrichKliegis

@thingster - sorry, nope, I even don't know what MoI3D stands for. Just give it a try, you don't risk more than your time.

Cheers,
    U.

7. mmikem

mmikem Member

I like OnShape...It has a full featured free version (10 active docs at a time)...
    www.onshape.com

I also use tinkercad. Its free as well and stupid easy to use.
    www.tinkercad.com

8. UlrichKliegis

There are many ways to scan a kid, or to skin a cat, as an american colleague used to say.

I am reluctant to place any design in an online service. Of course, a brilliant concept to collect ideas from all over the world and condense the best in own products. But there are alternatives, and I prefer the aspect of the P in PC, Personal.

YMMV, though. Granted.

I appreciate the information on the wide spectrum of recommendable tools, though, and would be happy to learn more from you all out there! ;)

Thanks, cheers,

U.

9. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I'll add a vote for tinkercad it's right at my level! Designed several easy things in it. Sometimes the best solution is the easiest one!

10. eca

eca Well-Known Member

So many things to try out... almost makes you crazy thinking about all the choices.

11. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Fusion360 is pretty good now and gains features frequently. It's way overpriced for the full version and it's not clear you can renew non commercial licenses after a year. But I am struggling to find a better mix of usability and features at an affordable price. I'd love to learn solidworks but I am not a millionaire :)

12. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to getting the Simplify 3D license. Please please please let us get our mitts on this important option in the tool chain.

Up to now I've done most of my design work in Open SCAD. Based on this thread, have loaded up Fusion 360 and I can really see why people would turn to this for more complex topologies. Building everything from primitives in Open SCAD is hard work, but quite rewarding, but so much power is available for a few clicks in Fusion 360.

13. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Any update on this ?

14. vegasloki

vegasloki Member

You'll be able to keep renewing the F360 license as a maker, startup or student. They'll be some other capablities for the pro users but there will always be something free for the hobbyists. There is also 123D from Autodesk, less capable then F360 still more than most at this level need.

15. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Just got my license key, now to download and configure it for my current printer :)

eca likes this.
  16. eca

eca Well-Known Member

Me too, now just waiting for a printer to use it on.... but it is good to practice with the files that I want to print first to see how the program works.

17. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Lucky for me I have a prusa i3 to start testing on in the mean time, taking a look there are quite a lot of settings to get playing with!

18. UlrichKliegis

Although I was the first to suggest the early delivery of the Simplfy3D software, and although I ordered even two of the largest configurations, I did not receive any message about the licence key so far.

And I am a bit surprised that it was obviously not published in E3D's own forum (i.e. here) but only on Google+.

And I learned about the progress only through Google+, while the E3D forum server seems to have stopped sending me any notifications on new messages (I subscribed *.* and set all alert options to get the notifications)some time ago.

Hope that gets better soon...

19. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Mine was only a few hours ago so I wouldn't be too worried, I am sure they mentioned somewhere else that it was a manual effort loading the emails into the system so I suspect it may take a day or two to get everyone loaded in the system and keys sent out.

I seem to be getting plenty of emails from the forums here, do you see the "watched" icon on the forum posts you are interested in? I also see a watched/unwatched status in top right of this thread

20. UlrichKliegis

Hi Pierce,
    I see a pale 'Unwatch Thread' sort of button. I conclude that the thread is set to watch mode here, which should be fine since I set all notification options in my personal settings to 'activated'. I never selected any Thread Watch switches here. I was, for instance, not notified of your postings except the very last one, the one I am referring to here.
    Seems I have my traditional stealth mask on again...

And yes, the list of Watched Threads looks complete too.

Cheers,

U.