Simplify 3D Inconsistency?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jasons_BigBox, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

I thought I'd posted this a couple of days ago but it was from my phone and it looks like something went astray.....

I caught a very interesting video from @THEJATMN on youtube:

He was looking at odd issues he'd seen when printing high poly count models. On deeper investigation he found that the same model with the same settings was giving different g-code from S3D!

I initially thought it would be insignificant, due to the way S3D optimises the print but at times he found the extruder position could be 0.5mm different. This may not be an issue if the difference is along the extruder path, it may go a little further on a shallow arc before going onto the next point but if it's perpendicular to the path (away from the print centre) then it could be a big deal.

I'm going to try to take a look at some code at some point, see if I can replicate the results.

2. Kanedias

Kanedias Well-Known Member

If I had to guess I'd say it's because of multithreading causing calculations to be resolved and returned in different orders.

I don't see why it matters.

3. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

If my outline position can change by more than the nozzle diameter then it'd make a big difference to the surface finish.

My suspicion was that it was related to the random start point on each layer but fixing the start point didn't solve it.

I need to try it myself. I tend to use very fine tolerances on my .stl exports, even on simple models to reduce facets on curved surfaces so it may explain some odd effects I sometimes see.