Simplify 3D - One For The Experts

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jasons_BigBox, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Morning all,

I'm looking at some tricky S3D problems. I've had a search of the S3D forums but can't find anything there.

At the beginning of the print, I'd like to move the head back over the dump bucket before the heating begins to stop any ooze going onto the bed. I can modify the gcode manually but can it be done as far as the macro is concerned?

I have a part that I'd like to make mostly with a low 20% infill but there is a small load bearing area that I'd really need to be made solid. Any way to do this in S3D?

And lastly....... I have a figure I'd like to print but some of the overhangs have generated supports that sit on other parts of the print. Some of these I've found can leave some untidy marks when removed. I'd like to build some heavier supports from the bed that then go diagonally to carry the upper part of the print. Is this possible in S3D? I can model them myself but can I rely on S3D to create the support between them? Can S3D support one .stl off another?

Tricky problems I know,

Thanks all

Jason

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

At first how are you printing? Are you creating a file and printing from SD or directly via S3D USB connection?

On the scripts tab you can add you start script...

Not that I know of. You can divide the model into "sections" but only vertical. Use multiple processes and edit the "start print at" "stop print at" values accordingly, there are tutorials on YouTube how to do that. But horizontally this is not possible.
    You could "split" your model in multiple models and place them on the build plate so close to each other that they will be one part when printed and then use a process for each "model", but this is not easy as it involves interfering with the model at multiple stages from modelling to printing...

Nope S3D can only vertical supports...

You can, there are a lot of models on Thingyverse including supports but modelling them is not an easy task, you have to know how you will print (layer height and stuff) when modelling them to get the gaps between the modelled support and the actual part in a way you can remove them easily but also they do their work of supporting the model...
    MeshMixer from Autodesk uses different supports, they are like tree branches with tiny tips, you can load the model generate the supports, then export again as STL and print that without supports from the slicer. I tried that for some models, worked ok but needs a lot of tweaking too...

3. Jasons_BigBox

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the answers. On the startup script, looking at the gcode, the startup script is inserted after the temperatures are set. Is there a way to do something before? The code looks like this:

; thinWallAllowedOverlapPercentage,10
    ; horizontalSizeCompensation,0
    G90
    M83
    M140 S60
    M190 S60
    M104 S210 T0
    M109 S210 T0
    ;BigBox Printer Start Script Begin
    M117 Print Starting.
    ;Dock
    G1 X95 Y200 F3000
    G1 X95 Y235 F3000

I'd like to insert a dock section after the M83 line if possible.

For the others, I think I need to do some experimenting. Positioning parts close enough to get some fusion may be tricky in S3D. I've used cyano (superglue) to glue PLA parts together and it seems OK. It may be that's the way to go.

I have Meshmixer but haven't really done anything with it. I might now give that a go too.

Time for some experimenting!

As always, thanks for your help

Jason

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

For the S3D start script I just can refer to my profiles...
    Get the latest profiles from https://jenkins.alitecs.de/job/BigBox_S3D_Profiles/
    As I am using my profile builder I have the script not separate anymore but only some smaller portions not very helpful...
    But if you load the profile into S3D you can have a look at the scripts I developed, they are commented so you see what each part does and get an idea of how this works. Then you can shuffle the sections and order them the way you like...

5. Jasons_BigBox

Cheers, I'll take a look.

6. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You gotta click the blue dots depending on what you want, upper left corner is ABL with glass plate for example...
    Then you get to another site where you have the different profiles for the version of the BigBox, there you can download the profiles...

Chris Toast likes this.
  8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Your hover popup over 0 and 1 shows PEI plate for both.

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes but 0 is no PEI plate, 1 is PEI plate...

10. mike01hu

Accepted:rolleyes:

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know it is a bit technical but I have no idea how to make it more usable... The Jenkins presentation is or perfect but I cannot change that, at least I know no way to make it more obvious...

12. mike01hu

I wasn't thinking "logically", I should've known better!:) It is difficult to meet everyone's requirements and match their abilities and it's easy as a visitor in an unfamiliar environment to misinterpret or be confused. It's been part of my past life to prepare instructions/descriptions to meet a range of abilities so I feel for anyone trying to do so.:(

13. Oliver

Oliver Active Member

What is the PEI Plate or ABL MBL ?

14. mike01hu

Look here, it is a replacement for the glass bed made from aluminium and coated with PEI.
    ABL is Automatic Bed Levelling
    MBL is Mesh or Manual Bed Levelling based on the firmware updated from here