Simplify3D help with the BigBox

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Ray, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have 2 questions, the first is more related to Simplify3D and its handling of thin areas of an object, firstly this is what I am trying to print (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35383), I am trying to print it such that it prints upright (not sure if that is the best print layout, but seems most logical to me).
    1. Regardless of which way up I print it the areas of the wings (when printed at 75% as suggested in the Instructions) do not actually come out in the Simplify3D preview, this is with a layer height of 0.25. Can anyone suggest how I can resolve this without increasing the print size above 75%? Can I re-load it into something like Meshlabs and specify the minimum thickness I would like and it would fix the model to meet those requirements?

PlaneSimplify3D.png

PlaneSimplify3DPreview.png

Also note (although difficult to see in this picture) even though the raft follows the outline of the plane and therefore support shape, it fails to generate support for the rear fins.

2. I am not sure if this is a Simplify3D issue or the fact I am using OctoPrint or something else, when I turn on the BB I go into the menu and manually select Auto Home. When I then start a print (via uploading to OctoPrint and pressing Print) the head move to the back of the printer, as though it is going to scrape the nozzle, but doesn't move enough to the left and so the extruder motors hit the frame and cause the whole extruder axis to flex and I guess belt to skip. I am using the E3D profile called Dual 1.1.
    Regards

Ray

2. wfredette

wfredette Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, you might want to run the model through Microsoft's online model repair service. I've downloaded models from Thingiverse that were flaky until I repaired them.

3. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

This model is fine but its the thin-ness of the wings. The model will print at 100%. The creator is saying support and raft are a must not that you must print at 75%. Anyway, what nozzle size are you using? I have a 0.4mm, if I set the extrusion width from Auto to Manual and set it to 0.35mm then the wings are in the preview window. This is scaled to 75% too.

4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

What would be the result of printing when setting the nozzle width to 0.35 when I have a 0.4 nozzle in the printer?.

I dont suppose you had any thoughts on my second question regarding the extruder steeper hitting the printer frame when starting a print?

5. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

It sort of tricks s3d into thinking its working on a nozzle that size. I'm trying to print some cogs that i need to print very fine but normally on auto S3D makes 0.4mm nozzle print with a width of 0.48mm and ive manually set it to 0.4mm to allow it to print the fine detail.

On the second issue. I think this may be caused by using a dual profile but not having the tool head offset set correctly, If the S3D profile has the ability to just configure one head (next to the material and quality drop downs in the profile editing screen) then make sure that is set to just the correct extruder. I cant remember myself as I'm on a custom profile. Are you using a Pro or Dual? I might be wrong on this altogether.

Ray likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I am using a Dual but have not entered the head offsets as I was only printing from the left nozzle, I shall try again with the offsets entered.

Thank you.

7. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Given that the preview in S3D has no wings, this is a model vs. slicer issue rather than octoprint/BB issue. Those are somewhat dumber parts of the equation (i.e. they spool and do what the G-code tells them to do from S3D). Depending on the thinness of the wing surface that can really make S3D unhappy (I had some issues with that on a recent print).

8. Waran Karp

Waran Karp Member

Guys, what are the bed dimensions for the Dual extruder. It appears that we need to set it to X 260mm or 240mm. I am unsure. Any recommendations ? This may be the reason why the extruder is crashing

Can someone share their working Dual Nozzle profile ?

#8 Waran Karp, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016