Simplify3D - Processes, Filaments and Qualities

Discussion in 'General' started by Tetrikus, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

Hi all
    I've read some articles about Simplify3D and I watched the tutorials from the makers of Simplify3D. Nevertheless I wanted to ask what your process is in managing different settings, filaments and qualities. Some of the settings are stored in the profiles, some of them in the qualities and others in the material settings. Depending on when you edit what setting, it will overwrite some of these settings. That strange behaviour (in my point of view) does lead to use only Process settings for every possible combination, like:

- BigBox, 0.4mm Nozzle, HighQuality, LowBuildspeed, PLA
    - BigBox, 0.4mm Nozzle, MediumQuality, MediumBuildspeed, PLA
    - BigBox, 0.4mm Nozzle, MediumQuality, MediumBuildspeed, ABS
    - and so on

I'm using Simplify3D for Mac and I'm not really happy with the settings behaviour. I feel like I never know what setting is stored in the presets and what not. And then I overwrite some of the settings by mistake and I cannot reset them afterwards. That all is the reason I wanted to ask how you guys work with the process settings. Did you experience similar issues, or was it all clear for you? :)

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually the profiles it what I hate most on S3D (I am repeating myself)...

I have something like you wrote for my UM2. I use the auto configure for material and the quality setting only for layer height so I got different base profiles for speed. I could make more quality setting actually for layer height and speed combined.

It helped me a lot to analyze the FFF exported profile to see what's going on in the background. You gotta examine closely what is changed when switching those auto configure drop down selections or you know it.

The problem for me is that there is no "Reset Profile" button. You have to switch to a different profile, hit "No" to not save your changes and overwrite your profile and then switch back.

I usually do some tweaks for each print, even if your base profile has no supports active and you activate them, your profile is marked "dirty".
    That's all so annoying...

If I want to keep special settings for a print, I save a factory file, not the profile.

I try to keep my profiles clean, I do not save the profile changes, I save factory files.

If I wanna have fixed changes to my profiles I edit the FFF and reimport the profile...

mike01hu likes this.