SOLVED Simplify3D Profiles/Process

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Dr Jeep, May 7, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Am I using this right ?

So using the E3D supplied FFF file, I have one Printer Profile. Then I have created a set of processes for different materials etc so one for E3D Everyday PLA, One for some ABS filament I have, One for some Woodfill etc.

But the workflow seems wrong because when I click on prepare to print the default is that all processes are applied and I have to unselect them and select the one I want.

Also in the Printer Profile, There are material presets for PLA etc...but if you use these none of them match the default preset for E3D Everyday filament (PLA in the dropdown is 195C rather than 210 for example)

How is everyone else managing these profiles and Processes ?

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

This is my crazy system.

I have one Profile per Filament Type and, after the basics are set, don't touch it any more.

Then I save a Factory File for each "type" of part that I print. In the factory file the details of the print are established.

So if I want to print a certain "type" of part (eg a "bracket" or a "cylinder"...) then I go to the appropriate factory file and it sort of represents an Environment with my most evolved thinking on how the job should be done.

Am somewhat terrified that a change in the root profile might unsettle everything and have no real understanding of how it works.

Am half thinking of keeping a paper notebook as an infallible backup.

3. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

This is what I do as well, to a degree. I keep a different profile for each filament type and then I have a "master" file which is just a modified version of the one from BB. Each new filament type gets its own file, but I tweak the settings for different prints within the same fff. If I screw up too badly then I delete the profile, copy the master and tweak again. If I find that one set of changes makes the print much better, I store those new settings in the master.

You just need to be careful as I believe RichRap ran into an issue when he went over 32 fff files. I doubt they are all for the BB as I am sure he uses a ton of printers.

4. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

The material presets can be changed and you can delete or add your own. Just select the material you want, change the settings and click update profile. Temperature for the other materials in the list will remain unchanged.

If you are wondering what settings get changed when swapping material, you can look at the .fff file, which is just a .xml file.
    Look for the node called <autoConfigureMaterial name="PLA"> and you will see something like this:

Code:
      <autoConfigureMaterial name="PLA">
        <extruder name="Extruder 1">
        </extruder>
        <extruder name="Extruder 2">
        </extruder>
        <temperatureController name="Extruder 1 (L)">
          <setpoint layer="1" temperature="220"/>
          <setpoint layer="2" temperature="210"/>
        </temperatureController>
        <temperatureController name="Extruder 2 (R)">
          <setpoint layer="1" temperature="220"/>
          <setpoint layer="2" temperature="210"/>
        </temperatureController>
        <temperatureController name="Heated Bed">
          <setpoint layer="1" temperature="60"/>
        </temperatureController>
        <fanSpeed>
          <setpoint layer="3" speed="30"/>
          <setpoint layer="4" speed="40"/>
          <setpoint layer="5" speed="50"/>
        </fanSpeed>
      </autoConfigureMaterial>
    I had problems with the original BigBox Dual profile where this did not work, and found it was due to some errors in the .fff file.
    The extruder names were different for different materials and some parameters was missing under some nodes.

I have corrected that and this is at least working for me.
    I am only using this and can add material, quality and select which extruder(s) I want to use:
    https://github.com/tohara/BigBox-Files/blob/master/Slicer Profiles/S3D/bigbox_dual.fff

5. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

ok so the consensus I think is I am using the process thing in completely the wrong way :) Thanks guys I think I have a better understanding of what to do now. What is the use case for multiple/different process then ?

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Multiple processes is a really cool thing e.g. :

a) you can print two parts at the same time with different layer heights;

b) you can print different parts of the same part with different infill settings;

7. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

The way I understand it you would have multiple process when you are printing multi color. Or you can have one process for each object on the bed if you want different settings but print at the same time.
    And you can select one process to be active from i.e. layer 0-20 and then another process to be active from layer 21-end.

8. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Personally I have a process for just the first layer and the rest of the layers print with the general profile. It's not nessessary maybe for every part, but if the first layer is very complex it can help as you get dial it in for perfect adhesion.

9. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I am using it the same! Some processes for different materials and some for different types ( E. G. I have a process for vase mode)

I guess it's whatever works for you :)