Simplify3D updated to 3.1.0

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by corey, Jun 7, 2016.

1. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Looks like Simplify3D now includes a BigBox profile as standard in the new update, not seen it yet as i am at work.... change log below for anyone interested

Version 3.1.0
    • Added support for XYZprinting da Vinci 1.1 Plus, da Vinci 1.0 Pro, and da Vinci Jr. 1.0
    • Updated support for latest FlashForge Dreamer firmware and new FlashForge Finder 3D printer
    • New support for Bits-from-Bytes (BFB) file format including automatic flowrate control
    • New file format export options to streamline the creation and management of multiple file formats
    • Added support for line numbering and checksums during USB printing for real-time error checking and improved reliability
    • Numerous enhancements to USB printing for da Vinci machines including real-time preview tracking and progress reporting
    • Added support for Wi-Fi printing to da Vinci 1.1 Plus and da Vinci 1.0 Pro
    • Multiple process dialog now uses the previously selected processes as the default selection
    • More intuitive file extension prompts when exporting toolpaths into different file formats
    • New firmware configuration option for using software-based flow control
    • Cross-section tool now allows easy selection and editing of internal model features including interior support structures
    • Customized profiles created using the Configuration Assistant will now be compatible with the Dual Extrusion Wizard
    • Improved pre-heating sequence for multiple extruders
    • Improved retract-while-wiping performance for complex shapes and fill patterns
    • Improved retractions when creating multiple ooze shields and prime pillars
    • Continued improvements to the slicing engine for automatically handling models with slight defects or mesh errors
    • Improved filtering for small movements during toolpath generation
    • Improved support for latest Smoothieware firmware and USB communication protocols
    • Post-processing scripts can now contain commas
    • Post-processing comments in the gcode header will now be maintained to avoid extra line breaks or invalid commands
    • Improved warnings for firmware or machine settings that will be overriden by your process settings
    • New warning to prevent closing the software when an active print is running
    • New licensing improvements for easier management of software installations
    • Added over 30 new pre-configured profiles including the 3D Systems CubePro, BCN3D Sigma, bq Prusa i3 Hephestos 2, Cocoon Create 3D Printer, CTC Bizer Dual, E3D BigBox, LulzBot TAZ 6, MendelMax 3.0 Dual, Monoprice Maker Select, PowerSpec Ultra, Raise3D N2, re:3D Gigabot 2 XL and Gigabot 3 XL, Renkforce RF2000, Kossel Pro, Robo3D R1+, Turnigy Fabrikator and Fabrikator Mini, Ultimaker 2+, Ultimaker 2 Extended+, DeltaWASP 20×40, and DeltaWASP 40×70

2. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

This is what really interests me... If wifi is supported, then connection over Ethernet won't be far away...

3. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

Would be really useful if it could directly connect with Octoprint.

4. corey

corey Well-Known Member

Yes i would be interested in that as well, but don't hold your breath as it's taken a year for this release to come out....

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Teh end script is funny:
    Code:
    M104 S0 T0 ; turn off right extruder
    M104 S0 T1 ; turn off left extruder
    M117 Print Complete
    T0 ; select primary toolhead
    G1 X70 Y200 F3000 ; move to dock position
    G1 X70 Y240 F3000
    M140 S0 ; turn off bed
    G28 X0 ; home X axis
    M84 ; disable motors
    M106 S0 ; turn off cooling fan
    Why move to the dock and then home??? Nothing is done in the dock... Pointless...

The start script is also... well arranged:
    Code:
    G28 ; home all axes
    M117 Print Starting
    No priming in the dock... Pointless too...

Dual build volume only 240x200x300, same generic list of materials and quality settings I know from other profiles... Nothing special...

Tool offset not set, neither in the start script nor in the gcode options, dual print won't work nor a print with the right nozzle only...

Shall I go on analyzing?
    Or analyze the Pro profile?

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Pro looks better, primimg at the start, but the scrip is obviously only for the V1.0 Pro, V1.1 will crash the head in the back... So also moving to the dock in the end script but not priming or reatracting... That could work out but is not perfect...

7. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I have 3.0.2, Update is 3.1.0? Hitting Check for updates on the help menu gets "Your Software is up to date" maybe it's region specific ?

8. corey

corey Well-Known Member

You need to log into your account and download it, don't think they have flicked the auto update switch yet, which is normal in case there is a big bug they missed

9. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@Alex9779 given that it looks like you've been working on the profiles on the Github page (I think?) do you know who submitted these to S3D? I presume Greg then

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

On which Github? On the new "BigBox3D"? No, I had nothing to do with them yet... I set up mine... And I wanna get them to a state where they will be the standard ones, maybe also the ones that are in S3D available.
    But for this I need your help, that's in the other thread, for testing...
    As I mentioned there, the goal is to provide profiles which "just work", nothing special too but they should work and give acceptable results. Non of the one I found provided, neither the first ones, nor the "guinea pigs" of Greg, nor the new ones nor the profile now in S3D fulfill what I would expect when I buy a box, pre-assembled maybe and wanna do my first own print...

JohnEsc likes this.
  11. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I had meant the BigBox repo.

I better get my printer fired up then :)

12. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

damned i was realy hoping they would add conical support structures, a small base that gets bigger with overhangs.

would save allot of filament (like scaffold)

but still , update at least shows the company is still alive. I was doubting it since this is the first update in a year

13. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

There's definitely some reverse engineering potential in that. I wonder how it works in terms of the profile/printer setup, if it can be enabled for a RUMBA setup then you could enable it and sniff the protocol and write a plugin for Octopus perhaps?

14. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

I am starting to wonder what is going on with this deal. For what you are telling us, if I ever get my kit to put together... The software won't work anyway? Dual is THE main feature of the BB for me. I could have bought a better single extruder printer for the same money and not wasted 6 months waiting for this one and for what you say, it has a alpha state software at best...! Sorry, I am so tired of waiting...:(

15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW this has nothing to do with "filament flow"...

16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

The software definitely isn't alpha state. There are some good profiles available and there are people, myself included, who have been getting excellent dual results.

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dual was always declared "experimental". And it is not the software, it is the profiles. You can get it where you want. It is just that what is supplied many be a start but it is not "insert model and print". That is what I want the profiles to be. The results mustn't be perfect but it should work without a crash and without bringing the machine in a certain state, like homing from the LCD...

Stefan likes this.
  18. gonzalo

gonzalo Well-Known Member

19. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

They told me about the profile the other day when responding to my support request about...erm...supports, didn't mention there was a software update as well though. My printer is tied up for the next couple of days and I can't afford to be mucking about with it mid job as someone is eagerly waiting the parts I am printing for them.

Great news on the profile development though, I am still in disbelief that E3D weren’t all over this for their filaments, it was a great sales/marketing opportunity to make sure everything is dialled in and THEIR filaments are pretty much turn key on the BB....one less reason for me to go to my usual feedstock supplier (Printme 3D)

20. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

*sing*All you need is love...*sing* for Software too, great Hardware is great but great Hardware with great Software is Awesome :D

BTW is it just me or have they change the speed units from mm/s to mm/min?