Single Titan is it worth it ?

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Dr Jeep, May 7, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Sooo

I was thinking of getting the Pro to Dual Titan upgrade kit, but I have a backlog of prints to do so wasn't going to necessarily rip my machine to bits to upgrade to dual until I needed to.

Fitting the single titan though would be easy, is there any benefit in doing that now, what do you gain by fitting the single titan over the original extruder ?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I don't have my Titan yet, but if your BB is working, the filament is extruded ok, and the speed of the X-Carriage is satisfactory (whatever that means ! ) then perhaps all you get is the ability to drive more awkward filaments than PLA and ABS and possibly a lightened X-Carriage, so in theory faster movement?

3. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Hmm that doesn't sound enough to make me want to fit it now.

Though if someone said it was easier to load that might swing it....the loading of the original extruder is very fiddly. This was something very right on the k8200, despite all its faults you only had to guide the filament as far as the hobbed bolt...it would find it's own way from there..none of this fiddling around with the lever pressed trying to guide a bit of filament past that.

4. Old_Tafr

From the blurb it looked like changing the whole hotend was a dream,(I had planned to have a whole hotend, heat sink nozzle etc assembled as-one to just swap rather than messing with fitting a different nozzle) but I was reminded that the hotend is still located in the hole in the X-Carriage (for now) so that isn't the case.

To this end I had bought several more of all the metal parts to be able to just make a quick swap to different nozzle sizes.

#4 Old_Tafr, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I had stopped my build to accommodate the hybrid upgrade but I am disappointed that the Titan has not been incorporated fully to take up the quick change advantage; OK, it's two more screws to undo but it's neater and far more compact. I will be putting Molex connectors on the head assembly to facilitate changing hotends but it looks like I will have to design and build my own proper Titan carriage unless @Greg Holloway 's dual Titan kit does that when it arrives.
    20160508_100322.jpg

JohnEsc likes this.
  6. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Mike, are you a preorder or kickstarter backer? Looks like you have a cut v1.1 top piece. I thought only preorders had those mods, but I also spy a kickstarter sticker there as well. Confused.

7. mike01hu

I am a backer but I did do the cutout before assembly by carefully drilling then sawing with a fine tooth saw before a little polishing; this being in anticipation of getting the hybrid upgrade that's been on order for two weeks.

8. Old_Tafr

For Kickstarters (V1.0 ? ) is there a pattern to follow to cut the top piece ?

9. mike01hu

The drawings are in the files section but I made it the same width as the other side and stopped 50mm short of the end.

10. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

We’re supposed to cut the frame for v1.1 ?

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

For X300 yes. Or you use the head with the lifted Titan...

12. mike01hu

If you've got the old frame you'll need to make that adjustment to achieve full width but, if you've got a printer working you can print @Alex9779 's lifted carriage and save the anxiety of cutting the frame. ☺

13. Alex Stevenson

Alex Stevenson Well-Known Member

I'm really confused now by the 1.1 Titan upgrade. What's the simplest/easiest option for someone with the 1.0 Kickstarter frame who just might want to buy (not print myself) the upgrade from Pro to Titan (not dual). Is there an official upgrade path without hacking the frame or printing my own parts?

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

None that I know of. The official upgrade package includes the part Greg published if you order them but not a changed top case part. Even if you don't go dual, the heads are the same and the movement is limited by the main Titan gear touching the frame on the right side...
    The most simple way is print the top head part with the 7mm lifted Titan. That's all you need....

#14 Alex9779, May 8, 2016
  15. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

You need this only if you want to have X max at 300. If you can accept X max about 290 (not absolutely sure) then you have to do nothing...

16. Alex Stevenson

Thanks so much for the clarification @Alex9779

I won't care that the build size is a little smaller, and would just be happy for a quick upgrade path... if / when I that may be (the basic build is pretty good as it is :)

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Though I do not understand why you don't wanna print only one part yourself... 7mm is about nothing in the direct straight path to the hotend... Printing the parts yourself if you have a working V1.0 printer gives you experience... You have parts you can compare with others...

18. Alex Stevenson

True, and I suspected someone might suggest that. However, I'm still in the early stages of learning and would like to stick with PLA until I'm much more comfortable with the whole process, before going on to different materials (like ABS)... one slow step at a time (and I don't have much spare time as it is)...

I presume the part would need to be more robust / resiliant to temperatures than PLA?

#18 Alex Stevenson, May 8, 2016
  19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope. The top head parts does not have to hold anything, is not subject to high temperatures... You can order all parts, throw away the top part and just print that one part yourself in PLA...

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I printed all parts in XT which can resist only 75° C except the fan shroud and the IR mount...
    Well PLA is rated 55-65° C but for the top this is fine...

#20 Alex9779, May 8, 2016