Skipping stuck. because Greg' is 3mm and trying 1.75?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by errehache, Mar 16, 2014.

1. errehache

errehache Member

I have been somewhat successful at printing on my makerfarm using you 1.75 direct set up. How ever it gets stuck and starts skipping. It does not seem that this is because my Greg's extruder is for 3mm. But I am out of ideas. Here's an image of how the tip of the filament looks after I pull it out.

[​IMG]

2. errehache

errehache Member

I have been fighting with this thing all weekend. I have cleaned 3 times. And it seems to work for a bit, until it eventually starts clicking and not extruding, gear is turning motors going but no filament it gets stuck.

So I don't know if I am assembling it wrong, giving space for filament to get stuck and build up.

Arrgggg.

Thanks in advance

3. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi errehache,

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time!

You might want to check your cooling - which is the main cause of jamming, and is consistent with you being able to print for some time before it starts to fail (heat building up over time). The fan needs to be right down on the heatsink aligned with all the fins. You might try feeling the heatsink at the point where it fails, if it is hot or warm then the cooling is probably the issue.

The 3mm gregs could also be a part of the problem, if the filament is able to buckle or bow, even slightly during printing and retraction there could be problems. You might try a small bit of PTFE tubing for 1.75mm filament as a liner of sorts to constrain the filament. Alternatively you could print something to guide the filament, this could be as simple as a tube with 2mm ID inserted up into the extruder. We see quite a few jams of this type coming from users who use a bowden heatsink in a direct configuration. The bowden heatsink has an area at the top where it is drilled out and the filament is not confined if you remove the tubing and coupler to try and use it as a direct hotend. The problem goes away when a small piece of PTFE tubing is used as a guide.

If you could tell us a little more about your setup, a photo of your printer, the type and brand of your filament (have you tried more than one?) then we'd also have a bit more of a clue as to what might be the matter.

Hope we get you up and running soon!
    Sanjay

4. errehache

errehache Member

Sorry to answer so late...But i suppose I am a weekend warrior 3d printer hopeful.

I thought cooling that might be the problem but the fan is aligned to the bottom. But I will try again and check to see how the heatsink feels again

I feel that the retraction + 3mm greg might be the problem.

I am going to try a couple things so your feedback will be appreciated.

1. Ease up on the retraction... Even get it to zero - just so I can print a 1.75 greg's
    2. Guide for the filament. Any ideas of where to best place it?

I am attaching a couple pictures see here

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/s...dbcfb2e2c6a1/7c92b00842018b6fb0dd95fc5aab9922

I have a makerfarm prusa i3 with the bedleving upgrade.

The filament is something I bought here in Mexico, don't know the brand, but was printing fine on a previous printrbot simple

5. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

I have the exact same printer that you have.
    The problem is that the Greg's is designed for 3mm filament and even though MakerFarm says that it will work
    with the 1.75mm filament it really doesn't. The 1.75mm slips a little between the bearing and the hobbed bolt.
    You are on the right track by wanting to print a 1.75 Greg's. If you can get it to print the new extruder by turning
    off retraction, that is your best bet. Tighten up the springs on your present extruder to minimize the slippage then
    try to print the new Greg's. Ideally, if you can find one, you would just need to print the body of the new extruder and
    reuse the idler and parts from the old one. Best of luck to you.

6. errehache

errehache Member

Thanks Eaglezsoar, good to know am not alone. I'll follow your suggestion. I guess, I just wanted to just be able to get it working enough to print a 1.75. I have printed some pieces but eventually it gets stuck. Atentive babysitting and no retraction (maybe even some canola oil on the filament) might help.

Tahnks

I'll provide feedback