Slight bow in one panel

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Paul Arden, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Just working my way through assembly and fitting the side panels. I noticed that one of my panels has a slight bow.

[​IMG]

The other side fits perfectly but this one protrudes about half the thickness of the acrylic in the middle. I checked again the squaring up of the corners with the acrylic scrap and it looks good to me. I don’t really think the pillars can get any further out without going out of square.

I’ve gone back over the corners and can’t really fault them. I managed to get a slight improvement to about 1/4 of the thickness showing at the greatest deflection.

How did everyone else go with this?

2. Paul Arden

Just as an experiment I swapped the left and right panels and it is now definitely improved, down to less than 1mm visible edge at the maximum deflection. Unless someone says this is an indication of a bigger issue I’ll probably call it good and move on.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I never thought to look, but will now.

4. Spoon Unit

Right side

[​IMG]

Left side

[​IMG]

It may not be a bow. It could also be a case of the holes being a tiny fraction out.

5. Paul Arden

After the panel swap mine are now only very slightly out, similar to yours, thanks for the pics, great to have another point of reference.

6. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

did you guys use the part of the back panel to make sure that this panels are flush with the top. cause I don't have this issue.
    ToolChanger Left PAnnel.jpg ToolChanger Right PAnnel.jpg

7. Paul Arden

Indeed I did use the scrap for alignment. The effect is much less now with the left/right swap.

8. Spoon Unit

Yes. But this test for flush-ness was only at the extremeties. It could well be that a slight loosening of the screws into the T nuts might reduce the box.

Also @Amr, spill the beans on the laser tool :)

9. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

@Spoon Unit Work in progress will share details probably by tomorrow, Fingers crossed. I got it to work, I am struggling with the safety aspect of things, trying to find a way to protect the user from stray laser beams, with out making it too difficult to focus the damn thing