Slip sliding away - Rubber feet

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Ephemeris, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

On several occasions while working on the BigBox, it kept sliding away from me. The hard plastic printed feet were basically no better than skid pads on the hard table. The inclusion of printed feet in the BigBox kit may be a case of the old "a man with a hammer sees all problems as nails" syndrome.

Since I really don't want the unit to vibrate its way off the table onto the floor, which would do neither the BigBox nor the floor a favor, I replaced the printed feet with hard rubber ones and now it's rock solid. For those looking for options in the USA, here's a selection to choose from with the correct hole size. (Just make sure what you choose is thick enough that the bolt head clears the table.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-bumpers/=11zt327

#1 Ephemeris, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Chris Toast likes this.
  2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

RichRap suggested using the top foam as a pad to quite the BigBox down a bit also works we to keep it in place as min has never moved a bit.

I cut down the sheet to the perfect size doesn't look bad at all

3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Won't the foam stop some/all of the exhaust air venting from under the big box?

4. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

@Ray There is no air venting from under the BigBox, all openings are on the sides or on the top. I have my BigBox standing on the foam of the package. Works perfectly :)

5. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I second that :)

6. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

yep, me too until my enclosure is finished...

7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I was assuming this because as far as I can see, at least with an acrylic frame there is no ventilation holes (aside from the small USB and Network symbol cutouts) for the lower compartment in the sides/back/front or top, so I assumed the ventilation holes were at the bottom?.

The fan in the top cover sucks air into the lower compartment, I thought the same was true for the rear fan, although I could be mistaken, even if the rear fan did push air out of the compartments it is a much bigger fan than the small one on the top, so without ventilation holes is this good practice? i.e. wont the lower compartment always be under a low pressure as the small fan is unlikely to be able to suck in as much air as the rear fan (if indeed it pushes air out of the lower compartment) is able to push it out?

8. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

The rear fan sucks it out.

Since the big deal is blowing onto the stepper motors, I did wonder if it wouldn't make sense just to have one good fan doing that, then add more ventilation holes around the back such that there's no need for active extraction. But perhaps the flow dynamics don't add up?

9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

After taking a good look again I realise that there are ventilation holes under the LCD (I knew I had seen them somewhere, I just thought they were underneath), so I guess the big rear fan will expel air that is being sucked in from the top fan and because it is bigger it will also draw air in from the vent under the display.