Snowflake twisted vase - 200% with volcano nozzle

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Pierce, May 1, 2016.

1. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:37117

Printed a few of these at 100% scale for friends and family, mum requested a larger version so printed this at 200% sized! its 20cm tall, took about 5 hours using the volcano nozzle of 1.0mm and layer height of 0.3mm.

IMG_20160430_213611.jpg

2. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

This looks great @Pierce Are you using Simplify3D to slice for use with the Volcano nozzle. The BigBox is my first experience with 3D printing and I'm looking to test out the Volcano before messing with Titan and dual. Does the Volcano effect a lot of changes to the settings someone would setup in as a S3D profile? I'm assuming nozzle diameter, layer heights, top and bottom layer heights, as well as perimeter shells are effected, what other things may have to be adjusted... any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Yup using simplfy3d, for vase mode that's pretty much it (and it changes lots of settings just turning it on!) make sure your filament is properly configured as you are going to be spitting out filament super fast (almost 2 spools down...)

For printing normal solid objects I am still struggling with it https://plus.google.com/+PierceFerriter/posts/i8zbNKD87W7 have a look at my 200% benchy here, think I need a better infill and possibly overlap with border a bit more.

mike01hu likes this.
  4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Nice prints @Pierce. I got similar great vase prints from the volcanoes. What materials were you using?

5. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

@Spoon Unit this was a roll of ink3d.ie in white, I won it a while back on one of those reddit competitions. It has a bit of a shine to it rather than the matt look of the everyday range by e3d which gives a good effect. Even at 0.3mm layer height you can't easily see the layers

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detail. That's a new supplier to look into too.

7. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I have too many suppliers I need to check out at some point lol :)