So have conquered Nylon 910

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Henry feldman, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's been a love hate with 910 (since the "incident"), but recently for a work project (sorry can't describe it as patent disclosure is still underway for the provisional patent) have been doing a lot of nylon printing, so was torture testing a small part of the device which a colleague said couldn't possible be tough enough compared to the steel version. I pointed out that while true 7.5mm thick solid stainless is insanely strong, it was stronger than the patient which is the limit so nylon should be just fine.

So took a part I printed in 910 using 0.15 layers, ratio 0.9, Temp 250, Bed 80, Wolfbite for Nylon, full hexagon at 60% infill and tortured it. Enjoy the 2 part torture test (and always good to do a science experiment with the kids - neighbors were a bit perplexed):

eca, Sarah Nicholson and Stefan like this.
  2. Henry feldman

@mike01hu I view this as recovery therapy from the incident...

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't think this is the first time the neighbours have wondered what is going on their street!

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Great Henry, as long as you don't test the patient this way with your 21st Century Medieval torture!!! :eek::D
    I must try Nylon 910 soon.

5. Henry feldman

HaHa. You should see what we do for Halloween!

6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Out of interest why Taulman 910 as opposed to any of their other Nylon filaments?

7. Henry feldman

This device actually requires serious beefy strength and also has some geared parts that take a lot of impact, and absolutely cannot shatter (lives would be in jeopardy if it did). It printed great.

8. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I wish I could get the Wolfbite Nitro over here (Germany). Meanwhile, I am trying to find something else that the 910 will stick too...

9. Henry feldman

Really? Is it just they don't ship/sell there, or is there some regulation preventing it?

10. eca

eca Well-Known Member

They would ship it, but that costs like $80 just for shipping. And as far as I can tell, no one sells it over here. I have looked at all the online 3d printing shops that I could find an none carry it or the other products from Airwolf3d.

11. eca

eca Well-Known Member

I will just try to get a sheet of Tufnol and cut to fit (they come in 4mm thick sheets that pretty much just need to be cut in half to fit our print beds). And then pick some of the Wolfbite up the next time I am in the states.

12. eca

eca Well-Known Member

By the way, I just got around to watching the video, that stuff is amazingly strong. I will definitely have to use 910 for more than just replacement coasters for my shower doors ;)

13. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Try 'Hartpapier' or even better 'Hartgewebe'. Roughen the surface with 60 or 80 grade sandpaper or emory, clean the surface from allllll dust, heat it up to 108-110°C on the surface (that means 10° more on the heat bed for my printer here, I just invested in a simple IR thermometer which told me a lot about temperature f(place on the heatbed)), adjust the nozzle a bit closer than the distance you would use for PLA or PETG or ABS, and put down the first layer really slowly, << 20mm/s. You'll have a hard time to separate your object from the base, but it will come off.
    That's my experience with Taulmann's 965, but it should be applicable for 910 and bridge too. If 965 sticks, every other nylon will stick too.

eca likes this.
  14. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Wondering which one of these nylons would take the hardest impact. Thinking of looking into a nylon canopy for a multirotor.

15. Henry feldman

Taulman has a nice "picking the right material" section. 910 has the sandblastable and non-shattering aspect

16. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

Thanks, gone through the site now. Looks like 910 can shatter but 680 is what I'm looking for. Should be about as easy to print but I might need some other bed material.