Sock doesn't seem to fit correctly for me.

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Student337, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Student337

Student337 Member

Hi guys. I just fitted the sock on to my new heaterblock and it doesn't appear to fit as well as the ones displayed on the E3D website. I'm confident I've fitted it correctly. The nozzle only just pokes out when everything's cold but as soon as I heat up to 190C, the sock expands and the nozzle is no longer protruding.

Hopefully I'm doing something simple wrong. Can anyone suggest a way to combat this? I've posted images below of what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I noticed mention on another thread about issues with socks that the nozzle needs to be fitted correctly to give enough distance from the block to the tip in order for the sock to sit correctly. May not be the issue with yours, but maybe something to at least verify that your nozzle spacing from the block looks at least similar to the picture from the assembly Wiki.

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly
    300px-V6_Assembly_-_InsertNozzle.jpg

3. Student337

Student337 Member

Indeed it does not. I installed the nozzle before I installed the heat break. That means the nozzle is flush with the heater block and the heat break isn't. That must be the reason. I'll change it around and see if it solves it.

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Perfect! I hope that ends up doing the trick.

5. Student337

Student337 Member

I changed things around based on your suggestion, Danzca and it appears to be better now. There is still some expansion of the sock but I *think* it's alright. I have yet to run a print but I've left it for 10 minutes at 190C and the amount of nozzle protruding should be enough to print safely.

Thanks very much for that find, Danzca!

6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Interesting. I also find the sock pulls off the top a touch on one nozzle, and given the thought pattern here, that could be as simple as me having the nozzle a little too far out at the bottom. I have been thinking of adapting a paper clip to hold it on top a little tighter...

7. Student337

Student337 Member

I could well be, Spoon! Might be worth a try. I didn't even look at the assembly guide because I assumed I knew what I was doing. Definitely won't be ignoring the details again.

8. Jasons_BigBox

Jasons_BigBox Well-Known Member

Interesting, I've been finding mine does something similar. The front of the sock becomes 'unclipped' sometimes. I wondered if it was to do with the wiper grabbing it a little. Anyway I got sick of it and have run a cable tie around the sock to stop it dropping. I'm keeping an eye on it to make sure the tie doesn't touch the heater or the block. so far so good.

Student337, you need to check against the v6 assembly instructions. You need to get the nozzle a little out of the heater block then attach the heat break. Make sure to perform the heatup to 285°C when tightening otherwise it can come loose during printing, leak and really ruin your day.........

Good luck!

Jason

9. Spoon Unit

Good call.

10. Jasons_BigBox

I'd post a picture of how I did it but I've just had a jam and have had to take the nozzle out ;o(

11. Spoon Unit

That doesn't sound so good. The only true jams I had were when I was playing with too much retraction.

12. Jasons_BigBox

I was printing ABS and was having problems with high nozzle resistance (0.25mm). Had a couple of prints stop. I was manually pushing the filament in and must have melted the tip then pulled it out. A blob on the end must have pulled back into the heat break and froze.

All fixed now and I've gone back to a 0.4mm for today's prints. Actually your heated bed supports!!

Spoon Unit likes this.