IDEAS Soft power buttons, Rpi Ups and printer poweroffs

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by TimV, Nov 11, 2016.

1. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've been playing with following ideas for quite some times now. And I starting to get the latest hot of the press tools to be able to accomplish all this.
    Targets :
    • Rpi controlled Power on and Power off's. This to remotely power on/off the internal PS, without shutting down the fans (as the printer electronics could still be hot inside) Including and emergency remote poweroff in case something might go horribly wrong.
    • Rpi control led control : This to remotely power on/off led lights on the print in 2 modes : IR and Normal
    • Have a way to protect the Rpi SD card from completely breaking down (graceful shutdown after time X)
    • Reduce the noise coming from the fans in the bottom part of the printer (PWM controlled)
    Tools to use :
    • PiModules Pico UPS HV3.0, as this one has programmable inputs and outputs + UPS protection to keep the Rpi online for quite some time (battery of 300mAh standard and upgradable to...) Input power up t 28V!
    • USB charge to keep the Rpi online
    • a Relay board to shutdown the internal PS (Thinking of : https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/twe...ZdOkrTeKxOK3YGeFA7nN3IRWEZ0alJaDs4aArag8P8HAQ
    • Some nice looking push buttons
    • Some USB connectors
    • Some wiring
    • A plan
    Next step : Getting a confirmation of the powers and the Relay proposed
    Comment on this please

Regards
    Tim

Planned extensions later, added in 7" touchscreen to run ontop of the Rpi

Alex Stevenson likes this.
  2. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

See "project Whisper"

3. TimV

TimV Well-Known Member

Sure, these are all nice inclusions, but the main objective is power control. PWM I have onboard on the Pico, just a matter of configuring and connecting the Fan to it.

4. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

The relay should work... lots of youtube videos about them and a raspi, of cause the pi needs a extra PSU.

AND be aware you dealing with mains power, this can kill you!!!!11!1!

But keep in mind the raspi gpios only can deliver about 8 mA, not that much, good for control that relay but LEDs need more.

I have used this setup successfully to quick switch a relay on and off again, but did not tried it for more than 10 sec.... it should be fine if your PI PSU is powerful enough, espacially if you want a PI touch LCD too.
    So 5V 2A++ must be good.

I think this video explains the gpio current problem nicely