-Solved Dual Nozzle Crashing the Party

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Samuel Kolanowski, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Samuel Kolanowski

Hey E3Ders,

I've successfully set up the BB Dual Nozzle (Octoprint> Tool 1) as the main extruder, And It can print well on its own. (I love the Octoprint upgrade by the way)
    However the Secondary Nozzle (Octoprint> Tool 0) is slightly higher so it doesnt come into any contact with the job, which means that when dual printing (Using both Tool 0 and Tool 1) Tool 1 then comes into contact with the extrudate from Tool 0. its oh.. so.. fiddly to get right.

So any good tips out there to set up the dual perfectly, and keep it that way?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Looking from the front the instructions for "Dual Nozzle Alignment" on this page...

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Printer_Commissioning

Shows how to align the nozzles, in this case nozzle 0 (Tool 0) the first nozzle to be adjusted and used as a reference point is the one on the left. At least this is how I interpreted it, Zero on the left 1 on the right (Simplify3D I have setup this way too)

There is a height adjustment in this procedure, having first set up everything for the left nozzle. You then use the angled (difficult to get at) grub screws to move the right nozzle up. (It is very difficult to move the nozzle down again with any precision so moving up under the control of the grub screws...........tighten them evenly.........is better)

"The right nozzle needs to have it's height adjusted level with the left nozzle."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier...

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/BigBox_Printer_main_assemblies:_Step_By_Step_Assembly_Process

"You will also need to make sure the left nozzle is slightly higher than the right. This is done to make the nozzle alignment process in the commissioning stage a little easier. "

Once you get to the commissioning stage I guess you could use the trick to slide a piece of paper under the right nozzle to get it's height adjustment correct and the same as the other (left) nozzle.

Were you wanting a more precise approach than this?

Samuel Kolanowski likes this.
  3. Samuel Kolanowski

Thanks, its just that I have different materials in each extruder, but when I only want to print with the one in the left side (Tool 0) the right extruder hits the job and moves it.

the only way I've found to fix this is to have both extruder's heated when printing with the left nozzle, even when the rights not being used, but I can get away with only the right extruder heated when the right is the only material I am using.

The only reason for this, is that both nozzles aren't perfectly aligned.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I guess you (everyone) is going to have a problem with the two nozzles at exactly the same height, especially if a print lifts very slightly and the tool path brings the other nozzle over the item being printed. This happened to be experimenting printing three items at the same time to speed up the process of creating three

Obviously if the nozzles are not at the same height then printing in two colours, two materials etc. isn't possible.

Only thing I can suggest is if possible rotating the item to be printed to be in the Y direction and away from the centre which is appears to be the default position which guarantees that the right nozzle will travel over a print created by the left.

Making sure that the first layer adheres well and the print does not lift seems the only practical approach.

5. Samuel Kolanowski

OK its solved, not the printers fault, but mine.
    There was too much overhang on the print, so all I did was increase the amount if support, and it was enough to hold the print in position long enough for the next layer to start.