[Solved] E3D-V6 Heatsink and XE-Axis Carriage Issue

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Steven Burns, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

I am cross-posting this to Google+.

Does anyone know how to get the E3D-V6 Heatsink into the XE-Axis Carriage bottom? I cannot seem to get the PTFE tube or the heatsink into the hole. I have the sensor and the fan already mounted, per the instructions, and am trying to test fit the heatsink before I put it completely together with the thermal paste.

2. Steven Burns

Steven Burns Well-Known Member

A small file and a small drum sander fixed the issue. Still a tight fit, which is what I wanted. Should be done in a day or so with the build.

3. richgain

richgain Well-Known Member

Yes, I had problems with mine too. The top of the heatsink measures 16 mm diameter and the hole in my X carriage was marginal less than that (always a problem with printed internal round holes because of the tendency of hot plastic to shrink inwards as it cools).
    I found 16 mm wood boring bit and used that to scrape around the inside of the hole until it was a little larger.
    I then pushed the assembled hot end as far into the hole as I could, which was still only 1/3 of the way in, and then unscrewed the hot end from the heatsink. This left me free to apply much more force directly down on the flat bottom of the heatsink forcing the other 2/3 all the way into the hole.