SOLVED - Volcano "Thermal Runaway" issue due to speed

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Samuel Kolanowski, May 3, 2016.

1. Samuel Kolanowski

I am using the Volcano, printing with 1mm nozzle, 0.4mm Layers, And NO FANs. But I am still getting a thermal runaway!?
    I am using the Volcano to get quicker prints, so do I need a new heater cartridge? and if so, Why wont the supplied one do it? and how do i go about swapping them over?

thx.

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Didn't have that issue with mine, what speed are you printing at?

Trying slowing down the print a bit, or smaller layer height (0.3mm layer and 30% fan was working for me with 1.0 nozzle.)

Samuel Kolanowski likes this.
  3. Samuel Kolanowski

Ok, Ive slowed the print 80% and its working. I didnt factor in the Filament extrudate flowing so fast it was acting as sort of a coolant.
    even at 80% the print looks strong, and was still surprisingly fast.

Thanks for the tip, its much appreciated.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

@Samuel Kolanowski what were the layer height (0.4mm), extrusion width (was it 1mm?), the print speed and the nozzle temperature?

My experiments suggest that with higher nozzle temperatures (eg 250C) the supplied 30W heater cartridge struggles just to maintain temperature (like it's on 75% of the time) even before you begin extruding or turn a fan on. The solution is Kapton tape all over the heater block - though still haven't done it.

5. Samuel Kolanowski

My print was set up with .4mm layer, 1mm extrusion width, abs temp set to 235c. With 15% infill.

I now have it set to 2500mm per minute.
    And fans set to 35%

All's good.

6. R Design

Not bad.

I don't think we should be so easily limited by heat issues and look forward to having another go with the Volcano (depends what I'm printing), this time with lots of Kapton and with the 40W heater from e3d.

Want speed AND fan AND 250C!

7. R Design

Not with my printer right now but on my pro it was towards the left of the LED in a row towards the front. On a dual they'll be two.

Perhaps it was marked EXTRUDER?

You can confirm by turning the nozzle heating on and off manually.

Once you've figured out which one it is, just prop the electronics cover open an inch so you can glance at it during printing.