SOLVED - Weird blobs with colorfabb XT_CF20

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Falc.be, May 1, 2016.

1. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

I keep having weird blobs appear on top of my prints with XT-CF20. these blobs are so big the nozzle slams into them and lifts the whole carriage up.

I dont understand where these come from

[​IMG]

apart from this the prints with this stuff are pretty stunning

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

You need to sit by the printer and watch to understand where things come from in order to be able to correct them.

The above issue you might be able to figure out by playing in the slicer and seeing what was the feature underneath the blob.

Perhaps a lot of zig-zag infill (gap fill) layer after layer in a narrow space between two holes where there's not enough room for normal infill?

3. Falc.be

pretty sure its the filament curling up against the nozzle and sometimes dropping and getting stuck to the print.

not sure how to fix it though, but in any case, I have drawn up a gopro holder so I can film the prints

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

This is sometimes caused by over-extrusion i.e. the filament track is wider than the nozzle's outer diameter, so it rises up around the edge of the nozzle making little 'hedges' along the track; these are then gathered by the nozzle on the next pass and stick to it, creating your problem. Raising the nozzle temperature a little may also help. I've had this problem with my old printer but resolved it as described but I have yet to use XT-CF20 and your solution will be useful when you find it.

JohnEsc likes this.
  5. Falc.be

I believe I have this sorted out now

Once again I learned the hard way you need to calibrate the E-steps for each type of filament. for CF20 its 286.8 instead of 302 for XT. This was causing to much pressure in the nozzle causing the filament to curl up against the nozzle. when the blob stuck to the nozzle got to big it was deposited on the printed part itself.

I also increased the temperature to 260, fans to 30% by layer 3 and increased the retraction a little

JohnEsc and mike01hu like this.
  6. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Mind
    Mind sharing which GoPro holder you use with your BigBox...

7. Falc.be

Still going through iterations of it, but i do plan to post them on thingiverse.

Its 2 custom parts, a mounting plate that goes in the same place as the octopi camera, and a corner piece.

The gopro holder is already on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25628

JohnEsc likes this.