Some auto parts

Discussion in 'Show off' started by K3LAG, Apr 3, 2016.

1. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

I bought my BigBox to print some parts for the car I've been building for the last 2 1/2 years.

Here are a few.

Center High Mount Stop Light:

IMG_1125 copy.jpg

This is printed with Hatchbox orange and transparent red ABS. If you look closely you can see the 12 LEDs inserted in square cutouts. The LEDs are installed and wired from the back then a back cover glued into place.

Center Console Faceplate:

This is the faceplate for the center console. I had originally planned to print this as one piece on my BigBox but the final design ended up a little too large so I printed it as several pieces and acetone welded them together. Ultimately it will get sanded, filled, primed and painted to match the dash of the car. It looks just like a flat plate in the photo so I included an image of the model.

IMG_1117.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 6.36.29 PM.png

There are various other 3D printed parts on the car, but they are small brackets, spacers and the likeHere is a picture of the car as of last Friday night. It goes off to body work and paint in about two weeks and then it will be done:

IMG_0088.jpg

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

looks really professional. Nice job...

3. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

Installed the brake light this evening.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Any pictures of what you started with? Looks good :)

5. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

@K3LAG what's your workflow? Do you start with a base CAD model from the manufacturer's part or just measure and design from scratch. I only ask, because I have to do a taillight for our car (not quite as cool - Honda odyssey) when a panel got lots somehow.

6. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

I just did it from scratch. When building a kit car there isn't a whole lot to go from. Primarily I mimicked the shape of the vent that you can see in the bottom of the bumper and above in the rear cover.

The car is a Factory Five Racing 818S. FFR provides the frame, body, and about 13 boxes of parts and you provide the drive train, some suspension, electronics and other fiddly bits from a 2002-2007 Subaru Impreza. In my case a 2005 WRX. End result is a car about the size and performance of Lotus Elise for a lot less money. Actually, it has more horsepower than an Elise. The name of the car, 818, is actually the design goal weight the engineers targeted when they designed the car. 818 kilograms or 1800 lbs. Mine will come in close to 2000 lbs since I put sound insulation, a stereo, and a few other comforts in it. Zero to 60 MPH should be just a tick under 4 seconds. :D

There are a bunch more pictures in my iCloud gallery here for those that want to see more: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#A4G4TcsmGYpJUI

The FFR team used solidworks for a lot of the design work.

They do sell a right hand drive version for you folks in the UK and other countries that need it.

7. Miasmictruth

Do you a rough estimate on the cost always wanted an Elise..

8. K3LAG

K3LAG Active Member

The base kit is about $10-13K US dollars. The donor car costs vary quite a bit depending on year and condition. They claim it can be built for $15K, but $20K is a more realistic bottom number. Some people have spent considerably more. I think the biggest spender I've heard of so far is approaching $40K but it is fully race prepared. I'll be in the mid-30's but I did a lot of upgrades and I paid more for my donor car because I bought it already torn apart and only the needed parts delivered to me.

9. Miasmictruth

Ahh, still well outside the range I want to spend on a toy at this point in my life heh. Looks like a blast though :D