Some BigBox bits and bobs

Discussion in 'Show off' started by orcinus, Jun 13, 2016.

1. orcinus

orcinus Well-Known Member

Drew up and printed some small parts for my BigBox this weekend.
    Unfortunately, i ran out of the (sampler) E3D white PLA in the middle of it.

[​IMG]

The thing in the back is a prototype LED strip bracket.
    It's angled 45 degrees and meant to go in the top corner of the BigBox case (above the bed at Z0). There's a triangular shade on the front, so there's less light spillage into your face through the front panel. There are also slots for the frame retaining D-nuts, so the bracket can be mounted snug to the corner with some double-sided tape or foam. Tested it for fit and it fits nicely, although a bit too tightly over the nuts (i might widen the slots a bit).

The things in the front are my take on the side panel cover fixings. The idea is that you can either leave them rotateable for easy removal of the panels, or insert a screw through the other end of them as well and fix them permanently.

Here's a closeup:

[​IMG]

Installed:

[​IMG]

2. orcinus

I've also got the LED strip bracket meant to go below Z0 (under the supports) ready, but didn't print it yet (no filament). That one's angled 30 degrees so it throws more light sideways than downwards.

Both are 25cm long, so they fit on the BigBox bed comfortably. I'll probably tweak this based on the length of individual "triplets" on the LED strip i'll be installing, but it'll stay around that number.

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

How does the other side of the panel cover fixings look like? .... some thing in my head is screaming MAGNETS!!!11!! :D

Btw I tried to print LED brackets my self, or I did print them successfully but I have 12V LEDs and they produce some heat which the sticky tape on the LED did not like and they peeled of so I have now some aluminium bracket which came with a nice diffusor cover too.
    If you have 24V or not so high powered once this should not be a problem.

#3 Stefan, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    eca likes this.
  4. Stian Indal Haugseth

Stian Indal Haugseth Well-Known Member

@orcinus, looks good. I have just used the glue on my strips and they send too little light to the sides. Need to angle them. But after feeling how hot they get I will be looking for ALU brackets.

@Stefan, I'll be making ones with magnets when I have time :)

eca likes this.
  5. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I still think the holes should have been drilled in the panels and not in the box!

6. orcinus

They are drilled in both.
    In the photo above, i have screws going only through the panels, but i also left holes on the clips for fixing the screws through the bigbox frame, if need be.

Ha! I considered that, but thought the magnets would be too weak through the plexi.
    But as it happens, i've picked up a bunch of neodymium 2mm x 10mm cylindrical magnets today, so i think i might give that idea another go.

I've got a reel of bare flexi PCB LED strip that i've been using on my old printer. It's 12V, but i'll be hooking up 2 per side in series. They don't get too hot, but then again, i only ever had them mounted on aluminium profiles (although with a thin layer of adhesive foam), so will see how they work on a PLA bracket, heatwise.

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Is that design uploaded anywhere?

8. orcinus

Spoon Unit and Mark_T like this.