Some Frame Change Advice Please?!

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Syko_Symatic, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

I am currently designing a new frame for the bigbox consisting of 3030 extrusion. I want to reuse as much as possible whilst maintaining the ability to upgrade to a bigger bed later on (300x300). The issue is that I have to increase the depth of the frame by around 70mm which means the Y-Rods are too short. However, I will also use this opportunity to move to Greg's new IDEX linear slide design so I can substitute to the Y-Rods with cut down to size X-Rods. My problem is 8mm rods at around 440mm long worries me, it could be nothing but I am imagining all sorts of flex at that length!

Does anyone have any input, are there any printers currently out there with this type of arrangement?

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

If you're using the Duet's multi-point calibration, the rod sag is basically cancelled out and the limiting factor should be how flat your bed is.

I've been redesigning the frame for my own purposes, but I've gone in a different direction. My next frame iteration is allowing for 10 mm rods for Y just because it's easy and I may use them on the upcoming EphCube (300x300x300 build volume). I'm thinking it might be worth making a small number of frame kits with the required new parts to rebuild a BigBox in that larger format, but that's a thought for another thread another day :)

IMG_2195.JPG

#2 Ephemeris, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    PsyVision likes this.
  3. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

FWIW: Misumi sells a compact version of their 10 mm linear bearing that is only slightly larger in diameter (2 mm I think) than the standard 8 mm linear bushing.

4. Syko_Symatic

Syko_Symatic Well-Known Member

Really! Link? I have ordered some graphite bushings and 10mm rods (go big or go home) they are only 14mm OD so I can easily adjust the files to suit that. I like the sound of those compact linear rollers though! I ordered hardened stainless rods just in case I decided to switch.

Will have to start printing, throwing away, re-designing and printing again and again and again......

The framework will all be here next week!!!

5. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Syko_Symatic likes this.