Soon to be E3D user/owner, but in doubt..

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bo Herrmannsen, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Bo Herrmannsen

Hi

As title says i plan to dive in to the E3D pool but not sure if i can swimm there

Basicly I have a Mendel90 where i have prepped to fit a prusa carriage (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:514582) but i have told the scad files to have the rods and motor the same as on the Mendel90 so i dont have to change things to much.

The carriage itself i have lost the link for but its one with 4 bearings in it. EDIT: This looks very much like the carriage: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:586636

Now... i want at least dual extrusion and i want to be able to use flexi filaments.

For the flexi's some say that at titan extruder can do it in a bowden setup and some just looks at me like i had just escaped the mental ward. But what is the truth?

i want to be able to reach the extreme's of a 200*200 plate with both nozzles

i have also made these 2 addon's to the Mendel90: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:755654 & http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:744868

my plan was to use the top plate of the rear covering to mount the titan extruders and filament holder just above

of course the spool holder bar has to be higher up so that the extruders can fit under the spools.. you get my point i assume

#1 Bo Herrmannsen, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. Bo Herrmannsen

a bit on myself:

soon to hit the 40 years past best before date. home going but with a passion for 3d printing. Anal about precission and good print quality

i care less about speed etc.

3. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

A Dragon In A Pie Costume Well-Known Member

first of all welcome to the forums!
    if you want both heads over the buildplate you have a couple of options
    -something like the cyclops where two filaments go in but one comes out
    -having 2 x carriages one for each nozzle
    -extending the linear rods to be bigger than the build volume and set the fw to have the limits equal to the distance between the nozzles(lets say they're 40 mm apart, you limits would be-40,0,0 to 200,200,200)
    -using something like the pallet addon(4 colours/materials)

each of these has their advantege and disadvantages

4. Bo Herrmannsen

or are there a bracket made that can hold 2 v6's close together?

cyclops are out as i dont think water soluble and normal filaments mix so well
    extending the rods are not an option either as that means new dibond sheets and moving holes etc

pallet addon?

what about the statement that the titan extruder cant do flexi's when its a bowden setup?

btw... my printer are able to handle 3 extruders, but only 1 hotend so far... thou adding support for more hotends are easy done

#4 Bo Herrmannsen, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

https://www.mosaicmanufacturing.com - the pallet
    i have absolutely no experience with titan so i cant help with that, sorry

theres the diamond hotend too, 3 in 1 out, uses only 1 heater and 1 thermocoupler, can do mixing but can also work as a triple extrusion solution.
    cyclops doesn't really mix, it wasnt made for that
    theres also the prometheus system, 2 in 1 out aswell but different way of handaling it

all x in 1 out systems need a single heater and thermometer only as far as i know

also most bowden setups cant do flexibles reliably, neyther can direct drives really... most multi extrusion solutions are bowden, having 2 nema 17 stepper motors on the head will add half a kilogram to it(just over one pound), that decreases your safe speed limit and reliability

6. Bo Herrmannsen

hmm, what can do flexibles reliably if neither bowden nor direct drive can do it?

7. Bo Herrmannsen

So... the diamond with the full V6 could be used as a tripple extruder.. how does one prevent the molten filament from one reel to try and escape up through the tube from one of the others? simple dont retract to far?

8. A Dragon In A Pie Costume

flexibles arent a easy thing to do, you're better off printing a mould and cast silicone in it tbh, and filament only melts at the hotend, the coldend(heatsink and up) is all solid filament, so just dont retract too much

9. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Dual Titans are your best bet for flexibles. If you have them facing each other the separation will be quite low and it should be possible to get the full bed size.

10. Bo Herrmannsen

But it has to be direct drive or could it be bowden?

11. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

if you actually want to print flexibles you'll want direct, bowden is a nightmare with flexibles. You can try running 3mm bowden with flexibles but you'll end up going mad trying to get it to work properly, if at all.

12. Bo Herrmannsen

that makes sense yes.

So now i will just have to hunt down a dual titan bracket for the prusa i3 carriage... or maybe one direct titan and one bowden in the same.

at least i now have something to thinker about during Xmas

last q.... (for now)... i spent time surfing the site and saw that you are planning to release water cooled hotends... any news on that?

13. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

We expect to launch in February/March 2017.

Jari likes this.
  14. Bo Herrmannsen

:) cant wait. i know it will prob. be targeted at high temps but it can also be seen as a way to reduce noise

15. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

plus reduce weight, potentially increase print speeds, and give a greater Z height in some cases.

16. Bo Herrmannsen

btw.. can the stepper be inserted from both
    stupid Q... can the stepper bed mounted on both sides or only at the black side?

17. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I do not understand what you mean.

18. Bo Herrmannsen

i mean normally you bolt on the stepper on the black side

i wondered if you could attached the stepper on the clear side of the extruder? of course you cant no longer see what goes on

but this would make the 2 hotends sit just next to each other and the 2 steppers point away

19. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

I expect it is possible, but I have not tried it. You could wait for the mirrored titan which is due in the new year...

20. Bo Herrmannsen

ahh, so my memory is not that much off. I remembered to have seen that but could not find it this way round