Sounds while moving in the y-direction

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Tetrikus, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tetrikus

Tetrikus Well-Known Member

I notice some unexpected sounds while my head moves into the y-direction. It happens when moving to positive Y as well as when it's moving to negative Y. I've recorded a video to show the sound and the bar on the back of the printer - since I feel like it is not completely straight. Do you think I could correct something or is this just the bar which is not completely straight?

http://tetrk.us/1bmIr

EDIT: I cannot really locate the sounds, I'm completely unsure where exactly they come from.

Thanks for your help,
    Tetrikus

#1 Tetrikus, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Statement of the obvious but it sounds like a rotating part hitting a non rotating part. A wider view would be good as the sound may not be from the area you are focused on.

Did you try disabling the steppers from the menu and manually moving the carriage back and forth in the Y direction to see if the noises happen then? Or perhaps that is what you are doing in the video. If so try moving back and forth more slowly to try and locate the sound.

Could it be a grub screw that isn't screwed in, as some pulleys have two, one could be tightened and the other loose and hitting another part as the pulley rotates.

When you say the "bar" which part do you mean?

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I had that noise and it turned out to be the X-rods not being held tight enough. After the initial assembly and commissioning the clamps settled and the screws needed tightening again. This re-occurred after a few hours printing and it was the same problem. Others have had the same experience.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I found the bearing clamps on the X-Carriage itself needed tightening after a month or two of use, less so for the X-Idler and X-Motor bearing clamps but both are obviously specific to the individual builder. That plus a support across the front of the frame (otherwise the X rods are in effect part of the frame) made the movement of the carriage much easier, smoother and quieter.