Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by orcinus, Aug 8, 2019.
Yes. A set will be sent to you shortly.
Should you also remove the thread lock suggestion for the printed plastic parts? Loctite says not "recommended on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result."
Is the TC Receiver part ABS? I've read ABS does have issues with Loctite (see below).
ABS specific warning :
Potentially affected printed parts:
The receiver is POM.
I shall put warnings next to the linked steps.
Yes that was it - thanks @orcinus - I should have thought to link it.
Adding a note here to follow up on my Twitter post, I am getting some Loctite 425 which is superglue-based and designed for plastics.
It's pricy at $27 for a 20 gram bottle, but it may be required.
I will be testing it on a piece of scrap acrylic / lexan first.
While taking apart the Titans in preparation for a new panel I found the Thread Lock also cracked the front cover of all the Titan extruders. Other plastic parts were fine.
Sorry for the out of focus picture.
Cross post from twitter…
Couldn’t find any 425 locally (in fact, at one of the stores, the catalogue they got from Loctite doesn’t even list it), but i have some 603 and 648 green. Both are meant for cylindrical elements (medium and high strength respectively), but medium should be fine for threadlocking purposes.
I’ll apply both to an edge of the acrylic to see if these are viable or not.
They’re both methacrylates i believe, so should be okay.
The Titan covers are made from polycarbonate i believe, i.e. lexan.
So not surprised.
After 8+ hours, i'm happy to report they're *not* causing any visible damage to the panel.
Probably still safest not to use anything, but just for future reference...
My BigBox is quite literally falling apart while i wait for the replacement Toolchanger panels, lol
First the nozzle clogged, then the X stepper brackets deformed from the stepper heat, now i'm getting mystery underextrusion in my prints all of a sudden (esteps/mm never changed, neither did the slicer settings, and the measured filament intake is spot on). Maybe it wants a raise or a retirement plan?
Poor thing. It's probably tired.
I bought some T43 (cunning name) from RS and noticed it's a methacrylate too. I suspect it would behave similarly therefore to the alternatives you mentioned. It's also quite reasonable compared to Loctite. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thread-lock/9082749/
This has to be some kind of an elaborate prank.
The BigBox prints started coming out super floppy and i thought i smelled burning insulation... so i check the print cooling fan and - it’s dead.
Got my replacement panels yesterday!
My panels have been cracking as well, not sure why though. I didn't really tighten them that much, and I didn't use loc-tite.
On the first night two corners cracked and I checked all the screws and made sure they weren't overtightened; seemed fine but I wrote it off as possibly messing those two up.
Now most of the corners are cracked or shattered.
It's possible I just overestimated how much torque those panels could take; but the instructions have a big red "Ensure both side panels are installed. They are required as they add rigidity to the frame.", and they're already loose enough that I'm having a hard time believing they can add any integrity to the frame. The only thing I can think of is that it might be a thermal expansion issue; there's a 20C temp gradient in this room from night to day.
Have you installed them before or after squaring and adjusting the frame?
After, the side panels were the last to go in before the test print (because I needed the spool holders). The electronics panel was installed in the order suggested by the guide. I just installed the back panel tonight but I've got them in finger tight (as in, as tight as I can get them with my fingers alone; no tool) so that one should be fine. If not that'll be super interesting.
I'm mostly just trying to figure out where i went wrong so we can improve the docs. It's almost certainly a product of my own stupidity.
Odd. Vibration maybe?
Did only the side panels crack, or all of them?
Are the cracks spreading from the side in contact with the extrusions, or the side in contact with the bolt heads?
A few of us on twitter were discussing using rubber/silicone washers instead of the metal ones.
The idea came from @GiulianoM
I'm using hard silicone ones. They seem to hold the panels in pretty tightly with much less axial force required (and no threadlock required) due to the friction they provide (vs. metal washers) on the screw heads. They might even cushion some vibration, although that's doubtful, since most of vibration is likely transferred through contact with the aluminium extrusions, but every little bit helps.
As an aside - if these ever crack, i was thinking of maybe trying getting some polycarbonate panels made instead of acrylic.
In terms of vibration, I noticed the machine was turning my desk into a large speaker. I used a bit of the polystyrene that came as packing under each foot and this reduced the speaker effect substantially.
Might drop the jerk a bit as well.
No need to go as high as it will physically go.