Spool holder rods

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Ben Kay, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Ben Kay

Ben Kay Well-Known Member

For those that have built up their kits already....would 8x100 stainless rods work for the spool holders? I think the documents state they should be 90mm long, but I can only find 100mm.

My kit is en-route, so can't check myself and looking to order the bits I'm going to need in advance. I'd rather have metal rods than 3D printing this part.

Thanks, Ben

2. Rene

Rene Active Member

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. Ben Kay

Thanks Rene, that looks like a nice solution....does the thingiverse file include the modifications you made to remove the "slop" ?

4. Rene

Rene Active Member

Yep, that was easily fixed. You can adjust this even more, by simply scaling the bracket 1% bigger or so, depends on your printsettings.

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

The main problem I have with the internal spools is that they're so awkward. This does help a lot with that, so thanks Rene for getting this done. I suspect one challenge will still remain, which is the rubbish which drops from the brush onto the spool at that back. Have you taken any additional step to circumvent that?

Personally, I'm currently looking at options to mount the spool on the front. This should make access really easy.

Regarding the issue of bed position in relation to feeding the next spool, it should be relatively simple to address by manipulating R1, the saved coordinate at the time of the pause, with a pause.g and resume.g script. I haven't had the need to solve this yet, so I don't have anything ready to roll.

6. Kenneth Albanowski

Regarding the original specified rods, Misumi USA has a site where it's trivial to order rod stock cut to precise length. I think you can just enter part number 'RDOF8-90' into the part search box at us.misumi-ec.com. (Of course, not cheap, and likely not available in Europe where Misumi is apparently harder to work with. And apparently down at the moment due to a typhoon going through Narita. :()

7. Holten

Holten Member

I bought some 100mm rods from Amazon. They're generally too long and can interfere with the bed. Especially if your bed frame isn't perfectly centered like mine was during assembly. I think they might barely work once I get he bed centered. But I ended up cutting 10mm off with a cutoff wheel to be sure.

8. Ben Kay

NOTE : If printing these, double check the hole spacing (and size) in your perspex side panels...the original brackets had oversized M4 holes with too small spacing for the panels that came with my ToolChanger.

There is already a remix posted with the correct dimensions (m3 holes and 40mm spacing)

9. ByteSized

ByteSized Member

I know this is an old thread, but why is everybody assuming the rods have to be steel?

I bought 500mm of 8mm aluminium rod on ebay, cheaper, and much easier to cut to length.

10. John Meacham

John Meacham Well-Known Member

I'm using 5/16" wooden dowels and they work great. I epoxied them into the base to give more stability.