SpoolWorks Edge Spool Filament overlap on spool

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Chase.Wichert, May 22, 2016.

1. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

So I had a print just stop feeding filament as I was sleeping this morning, I wasn't sure why, until I tried another print today and heard loud banging. It turns out the filament on the spool has some overlap with other wraps of filament. Not sure how this can be fixed, but I wanted to put it here in case anyone else has a problem. I figured @Sanjay might want to keep an eye out if it is a wide spread problem. It has since been able to pull the filament free, however I have pulled on it myself and it was very difficult to get free. could potentially waste a lot of filament if it has more overlaps on the spool.

2. Chase.Wichert

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    It seemed to crisscross all the time and that is the amount of filament I had to pull before it undid itself. There were times when I couldn't even get it free, it was so tight I had to pry the filament that was on top over, I almost started cutting it

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, not an unusual problem and it pays to take care when releasing your filament and clip it to the spool to stop it getting crossed up. I have had to unwind to a second spool in the past but now take extra precautions. There are a host of clips on Thingiverse and some ore referenced on this forum.

4. Chase.Wichert

So I let it go slack and it overlapped itself and continue to overlap it self for 2/3 of the spool? I figured it would have corrected itself eventually just not 2/3 of the spool down. I went ahead an wound it onto another spool, keeping it tight the whole time. I am thinking a mod might be side mount spools

5. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

I've had bad spools (from a large reputable vendor) like this that jammed everything. I assumed something went wrong on the manufacturer's winding system. The only thing for it is to unwind it (at least as much as you need for the next job), and then just wind back on the spool. You won't make it tight so the irregularities in winding from the human touch won't cause it to jam until it gets back to the machine wound part.

6. Chase.Wichert

Annoying especially when you start an overnight print

7. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I thought I was paranoid (no comments please :) ) as I pull a large amount off the reel and then leave it printing for a while as I often hear a loud twang as the filament pulls free.... (e3d filament)

There had been a post on making an alarm for situations like this (being paranoid that is, not filament getting stuck) I will have a search and find it.

Re-spooling may solve the problem but the nature of the filament is not to stay straight and level in even layers.

8. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

If you slip the end of the filament under a loop, it can actually keep unwinding. What you have is basically a really loose knot tied around the enter spool.

Even with the filament in this state you can print entire objects but all it takes is for it to catch once to ruin a print. I think the deeper you get into the spool (as the effective diameter decreases) you become more and more likely to snag.

Before loading the filament I always try to pull it out a ways to see if there are any hidden knots or like @mike01hu mentioned, if you properly clip the spool after use it shouldn't be a problem.

If you accidentally let the end go before you get it into the bowden tube believe it or not, there is a fair chance you will get a knot as the filament is very springy so if you let the filament slip you need to double check it.