Stalling extruder stepper since E3D V6 upgrade

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Jeroen, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

I had been successfully printing PLA with a cheap Chinese J-Head clone hotend for a couple of years when it recently broke down. I decided to splurge and treat myself to a quality product by purchasing a genuine E3D V6 hotend. I got the 3 mm direct version, and use it in the geared extruder as employed by the Prusa i3 Rework design.

Unfortunately, ever since installing the E3D my extruder stepper started stalling regularly. It's so bad I have yet to finish a single print with my new hotend! I have been tinkering with this on and off for weeks now and am pulling my hair out over this. Here are the things I checked, tried and observed so far:

- The extruder will generally start a print functioning normally
    - After succesfully printing some layers, the extruder starts stalling, and this seems to get progressively worse. Printed objects are completely useless, with many gaps in the perimeter and poor layer bonding.
    - When I manually run the filament through the hot (195 deg C) extruder by turning the gear, I can clearly feel there is a sudden rise in resistance. At some point it no longer extrudes out the nozzle but gets stripped by the hobbed bolt.
    - The filament has a clear path through the extruder body when no hotend is installed.
    - When I remove the 0.4mm nozzle, the filament also has a clear path through the hotend.
    - The stepper controllers are set to the correct voltage to drive the steppers at their rated current (I forget the actual numbers, but I looked up the steppers' current rating and calculated the corresponding voltage)
    - Slowing down the print speed does not help. I am now down to 10 mm/s, and the problem still occurs.

I'm pretty much out of ideas now. If anyone has any pointers for things to check or try, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

2. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Clean noozle? Try another nozzle? Try higher temp?

3. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

Ok, I did what I should have done to begin with and actually read the "troubleshooting" section of the E3D assembly guide. It says that cooling issues are a major cause of problems, and indeed this seems to have been my issue as well. I had printed this nice integrated hotend + object cooling fan duct I found on Thingiverse. Apparently that was a bad idea. After reinstalling the original fan duct I am now able to succesfully print once more.

I also realized I actually posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry 'bout that.

Colin likes this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

One other thing, did you change out the thermistor and heater cartridge? If yes did you update the thermistor setting in the firmware of your board?

5. Jeroen

Jeroen Member

I did, and yes, I did ensure the thermistor settings were (still) correct. Thanks for mentioning it though, it's an easy thing to forget.