standard groove-mount V6 toolhead

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by phoenix, Aug 20, 2019.

1. phoenix

phoenix Member

Hello, is there any available toolhead for mounting a standard V6 (to be able to use 3mm filament) - or design-files for an adapter?

Would this be even possible, as there must be a reason why e3D went with a screw-fixed heatsink for the standard design?

Thanks!

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

3. phoenix

phoenix Member

Thanks - I fully get why the screw mount was developed.

My question was that asI have a lot of 3mm rolls I am trying to find a way to make at least one 3mm toolhead: since there is no screw-mount heatsink available for 3mm, I was asking if somebody has already figured out a way to mount a standard groove mount bowden V6 to a toolhead plate, or if somebody has successfully manufactured a screw mount 3mm heatsink...

4. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

The Tool assembly has an aluminum bracket for the heat sink my guess is to insure the hotend is 90 degrees to the tool changer plate, a standard heat sink will need this part to be split in two to allow for groove mounting, you can design one and print it but I don't think this will hold up very well as this part holds every thing together on the tool. Maybe if you machine one you can do just that.

5. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

There are step files for each of the custom machined parts on our GitHub page at | https://github.com/e3donline

It should be a fairly simple mod to design a grovemount tool :)

6. phoenix

phoenix Member

Thanks for the prodding - so here it is :) Printed in PETG and tested for fit. Was thinking of PETG CF for the final version, or is there a more appropriate polymer, short of having it made in Aluminium?

I am using little M3 x 4 brass inserts for threads (except for the cable holder, simply threaded directly).

Not having my machine yet, not sure if there's anything I should modify - all ideas welcome!

Posted here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3843247

Thanks for your feedback!

Greg Holloway likes this.