IDEAS start printing at certain time

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by Jack J, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Jack J

Jack J Member

hey guys im wondering if anyone has or knows how to set the printer / octoprint to print at a certain start time?

for long prints such as over 15 hours i cant have the printer running over night as its hard to get to sleep for the family so id like to upload a file using octo print and have it set to start printing at , lets say 6am

any info would be appreciated Thanks

2. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Could be done with the octoprint api for sure, I'm away from home but I'll try and get a little how to together if I get time when I'm back.

mike01hu likes this.
  3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that leaving a 3D printer unattended is a fire risk. On the rare occasions that I run unattended prints, I make sure there is a smoke alarm in the room with the printer, linked to another one that I am certain to hear, a fire extinguisher outside the room, and an easy way of cutting power to the printer without getting too close to it.

If you want to make your printer quieter then you can change your electronics to use higher microstepping. Duet WiFi users typically can't hear the stepper motors over the noise of the fans - see https://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/bigbox-duetwifi-controller.1766/. So you may want to get quieter fans as well.

4. Dr Jeep

Everyone needs to make their own assessment, I don't think it's a significant fire risk over many other types of equipment, the heater isn't powerful enough to combust molten plastic.

Mine runs overnight unattended more often than attended, though it's in a shed at the bottom of the garden so my house/family are safe regardless.

5. Dr Jeep

If you are really concerned then it'd be pretty trivial to modify a standard smoke alarm so that it works as a power trip (most fault conditions I can think of on a 3D printer are going to generate lots of smoke before it turns into fire).

I think people have tried to market a smoke alarm in the past that already does that, but as I say converting a standard domestic alarm would be pretty easy.

6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of making a plasterboard containment area around the printer so it can burn to soot in a controlled space.

7. Dr Jeep

Heh thinking about it for 10 minutes, if you buy a smoke detector intended for a fire alarm system it's even easier

8. Dr Jeep

I prefer the idea of prevention rather than containment :)

mike01hu likes this.