Starting Up Help Octoprint and Mac etc

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Jon, May 1, 2016.

1. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Hi

I recently picked up my assembled printer from the Oxford HQ and have finally had time to turn it on. I'm trying to get to know it and find my way around it and am beginning to feel my way in, but have a few questions, perhaps lots:

I did an autohome, all good I think, but nozzle is around 4-5mm above the bed, is this right?

Now I have done an autohome, I can't get the bed down to clean it from the bench test print. There doesn't seem to be a z move option in the control panel?

So I'm trying to connect Octoprint as presumably that has more options. I think I have connected up the the network ok and have discovered the IP address, but it doesn't load. So I am trying to finish the end of the setup for the Octoprint from the build instructions, but it goes from PC and I have a Mac, so I'm trying Jellyfssh as an alternative, trying to muddle through, but stymied to be honest. Any ideas anyone?

Sorry, I'm going to try and figure stuff out on my own, but thought I'd just try and see if anyone can just nudge me off int he right direction, save myself hours of head-wringing

Jon

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Wait, you mean you go from IE or something on Windows and Octoprint loads, but via Safari doesn't?

3. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

No I can't even connect in any form. Maybe I am not connected, I thought I was. I can see an Ethernet IP address in my router, but I just (got my brain in gear and) rebooted to my PC partition and used Putty and there it just said it couldn't connect, end of story. So not even got to see anything in any browser. Should all be configured, I would have thought, as I paid for the build...

4. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

The z move option only appears if you select move 0.1 or 1 mm increments so just play with the dial menu a bit and it should appear.

The 4mm above bed sounds like it's working as expected, you just need to run through the bed levelling and that will be fixed as well.

As for OctoPrint you need to putty or equivalent onto the box, default username is pi and password is raspberry to see what's going on, i have no idea how configured is configured for the pre build!

5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Thanks Pierce and Henry

Yeah I did a bit of reading, going through the commissioning instructions and found the 1mm thing, but thanks for helping anyway. I started a Benchy printing in XT, got halfway and lost adhesion, but was looking great up until then.

I'll try the Octoprint thing again later and check my cabling, after that maybe I'll contact Greg or someone at BigBox. (I did do the whole Putty thing but nothing registered, it just timed out).

6. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

No problem! good luck with your second benchy, its going to take a while to get everything working as expected as a heads up :) just use every failure as a lesson and it won't get too annoying (took at least 3 or 4 benchy's here :-D )

7. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Going alright so far after some UHU. What I can't believe is that I am printing XT with bed at 60 but it looks like the hot end has defaulted to 210 and everything is fine. So far.... Small object though I guess

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

You don't need an ssh client for the Mac, it's origins are in Unix so it has an ssh client built in, from the terminal type ssh pi@discovered_address and you are set.

I can talk you through the other stuff on a mac, do you have the image for octoprint copied to the SD card yet ?

9. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Thanks I hope you can help

I just tried the Terminal command, I get:

ssh: Could not resolve hostname discovered_address: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

What do you think? Not connected properly? I can see on my router settings there seems to be a wired connected device, and the Pi would be the only one. But maybe this Terminal response is evidence that I'm not connected yet

Also - further stuff I know - did you connect wirelessly yet to the Pi? I'm going to get a dongle

10. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

In simpler, happier news, here is my first (and only I should think) Benchy

IMG_1316.JPG

Now to print something of my own creation......

Pierce likes this.
  11. Dr Jeep

sorry by discovered_address I mean the address you think the Pi picked up when you looked at your router

eg.

ssh pi@192.168.1.80

12. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Yay you have a very good looking benchy!

Are you trying to connect via "octopi.local" or the IP address? On your router it should tell you somewhere what the address is to be able to get to it.

Yes I got a dongle and setup wifi on my pi, here check out my very brief write up on how I did it, forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/octoprint-how-to-configure-a-wi-fi-dongle.829/

of course this relies on your having network connectivity via ethernet and the putty working before trying it out!

13. Dr Jeep

Oh I didn't use the supplied pi as I had a Pi3 (which has built in wifi). But yeh a dongle will work (if you get a compatible one), though I'd recommend getting stuff working with wired first.

14. Dr Jeep

oh yes good point, sometimes octopi.local will work rather than the address (depends on a number of things but it might work)

Pierce likes this.
  15. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I believe my write up for wifi would work for raspberry pi 3 without the need for a dongle but that's untested!

Let us know how you get on getting putty access sorted out

16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I solved it - I just wanted to get going so got going, and now calm a bit, benchy out the way, it was a dodgy cable from the socket to the BB. Now I am in to Octopi!

Thanks for all your support, I feel really like there are people out there. I hope I'll be able to be there for others too when the time comes.

Pierce - thanks I'll definitely be checking out your post on the wifi dongle when I get it, thanks for that.

I've got one more question for this evening if any of you know - I mentioned before the printer defaulted back to 210 degrees, it seems to do it on the control panel if I go over 250, just like that, and I presumed in my calibration and benchy prints it was because I hadn't saved it, but even on my first gcoded print, which didn't go so well, it stuck at 210 even though I told Simplify to go to 250. Any idea why? I spotted in the menu on the control panel that Autotemp is set to off and Max temp is set to 250. Is that it? Do I set Autotemp to on?

17. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Oh and I think they must have done the Putty setup as I am just into Octopi, I guess? I tried the (Mac) Terminal thing but nothing happened

18. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Oops I just dinked the build plate into the nozzle, does that mean I need to recalibrate? (Last question of the evening, thanks again everyone)

19. Dr Jeep

@Jon

Where are you setting temps, if you change them in the control section of simplify then it will get overwritten by the code during the print. You need to go to "edit process settings" for your current process and then the temp tab...save changes and then go back through "prepare to print" and create your gcode file.

Also what are you printing with to need 250, that's too hot for any of the supplied sample filaments.

20. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

Not sure about your max temp issue, whatever my gcode has sent to the printer it's just done! from pla at 190c to ngen at 220c. If you don't get a response to that in this thread try a fresh one with a new title.

Hitting the bed is bad! Re do your bed leveling and make sure you hit the "store memory" option in the menu. Then do an "auto home" and check it dosnt crash into the bed (have you hand near the power when testing this, the motors should just skip and make a racket rather than cause too much trouble but the bed is glass so being careful always helps!