Static electricity or earth leakage..?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Peter, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Peter

Peter Member

Hi all!

I finally bit the bullet and decided to assemble the bigbox. We initially purchased it for a project, and e3d support was really helpful in getting it to us quickly. However after looking over the build wiki when it arrived, we had to revert to getting our printing needs done by a 3rd party. The build was just too big for us to get done in time.

In any case, this weekend I dedicated to getting this bad boy up and running. Thoroughly enjoyed the build and the online documentation was excellent. Done several other 3d printer builds before, but nothing as big as this.
    At 11pm on day two, I was finally done. Fired it up and no magic smoke. Phew!
    Did a test print, and was really surprised how dialed in it was. Only thing I needed to muck around with a bit was the end stops and the home position.
    So on day 3 (today), I decided to do some more test prints as well as tuning in octopi. Set it up with a quite complex 5 hour build, and off it went. Ssh'd into the pi and started setting up the WiFi. Had to use a external lan cable plugged into my repeater as the WiFi didn't come up at first boot. Got it sorted, and waited for the print to finish. Once done (print was pretty much perfect btw), I turned off the power switch, and reached for the external lan cable in the back of the machine. I felt a noticeable static charge of electricity when I touched and pulled it out. Not heart stopping, but it could be felt. Didn't really think much of it. I rolled up the lan cable, and turned on the printer power switch again. Fans came on, lcd panel was lit... But no text.. Just an empty panel. This is where I'm starting to freak out a little. I checked to see if the pi was up. No IP.. No ssh possible. I could see the leds through the box... But nothing seemed to boot up. Opened up the electronics compartment and looked at the rumba board.. Leds lit up and all seemed fine... I popped out the mini SD card from the pi, and loaded it up in my laptop... Dead. Looked like I fried it completely. The rumba probably fried too? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I was using a properly grounded power cable with fuse, and the country I live in is very humid and we never really get any static electricity build up here. I guess there must have been some sort of earth leak or other electrical issue that built up over time since it was working fine for well over 10 hours? Any suggestions, ideas or comments are welcome.. I don't mind purchasing new electronics if I have to, the printer is worth it, but I'm really worried that it will happen again and I'd like to troubleshoot this. I followed the build manual to the tee. I really did take my time getting everything right, and it stumps me why this suddenly happened.

Cheers,

Peter

#1 Peter, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

It could be any number of things, and as you got the shock when holding the plastic of the Ethernet cable (were you touching anything else?) then it's odd that you felt a shock unless you were also touching something else to discharge the static.

Static should be unrelated to the ground lead or fuse, the discharge of static could have been through a grounded part of the power lead though unlikely as there should not be any exposed connections, but maybe get someone to check the earthing in the building.

I found that like most people I suspect that the frame (acrylic obviously) built up a considerable amount of static when removing the protective film, but I would have expected this to discharge during the build.

3. Peter

Peter Member

The LAN port in the back has a metal frame which I touched.. I didn't really handle the plastic on the LAN cable, just stretched around and pushed down the little plastic piece on the LAN port and pulled it out. Was barefoot on a marbel floor at the time.

The acrylic did make a lot of static when the plastic was pulled off initially yes... but doubt that was it, 2 days would have discharged that I think, and all the handling afterwards, rotating the box and this and that.. pretty sure there was no build up. The only thing I noticed was that all the steppers was really warm, closer to hot than warm. Could barely keep my fingers on them. My stepper voltages was set to 0.59 and checked with a multimeter. Not sure if the stepper drivers were hot as the electronics bay was closed.

Question, probably unrelated.. the power switch in the back next to the IEU plug, does yours have light when on? I noticed that the first time when I plugged it in, there was no light.. thought it maybe was supposed to be like that.

Peter.

#3 Peter, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  4. Old_Tafr

Just checked as like the spools the switch is inaccessible............ no light on the switch.

Was the metal on the Ethernet connection part of the BB or part of the cable. I leave mine connected but checking I don't see any exposed metal.

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

If your BigBox ground/earth connection is continuous then I would check your LAN ground to see if there is leakage there.

6. Peter

Peter Member

Morning, today after I woke up I switched on the printer. The LCD panel came alive, and I could see the BigBox logo, however it never gets any further..just seem to loop in loading the logo, go blank for a second, and then logo again. This is similair to what I've been reading in other posts on the forum about the "blank LCD" issue. I'll buy another SD card today and boot up the PI, see if it's completely fried or salvageable. Not had a chance to open up the electronics bay yet... once I do I will try and upload the Rumba firmware and hopefully it's alive. Doubt it though as the SD card was really dead completely, doesn't even get detected in a SD card reader with a laptop.

Peter.

7. Old_Tafr

As alluded to in the metal parts on the Ethernet connection and as mike01hu suggests, it is certainly worth looking at the LAN connection and how it is earthed and not necessarily just static.

8. Peter

Peter Member

Ok, I will check on that. As I'm not an electrician by any means, I gather I'd just check for continuity from the power supply ground to LAN cable's metal frame?

9. mike01hu

Yes. Also, with power on, use the ac voltmeter to measure between the frame metal and the earth/ground connection as some power supplies, particularly switch mode supplies, can produce a leakage current that can be detected by looking for the voltage. For your information, the voltage is electrical pressure that makes the current flow, so high voltage has a better chance to force a current flow with bad effects on sensitive electronic circuits.

10. Peter

Peter Member

Hi Mike! Thanks for your advice, will do that in awhile. Just got the PI up and running again, so it seems only the SD card so far was fried. Good news! I'm now installing the octoprint firmware updater plugin, and will try to flash the rumba board. Right now it just hangs at boot up with the logo displayed on the LCD screen.

When you say frame metal.. which part would that be? The printer has much of the metal separated by the acrylic pieces.. or do you mean the frame metal of the PSU?

E3D also got back to me and asked me to upload some pics of the rumba. I have not yet opened up the bottom, but once I do I will post some pics of that too. Attached the pics taken from the hatch into the bay where the rumba can be accessed.

20160704_183016.jpg 20160704_183029.jpg 20160704_183046.jpg

Thanks!

Peter.

11. Peter

Peter Member

I can see I screwed up on one T Hotbed connection. Got the polarity reversed.. but does it matter?

12. mike01hu

I was referring to the LAN frame where you experienced the electrical discharge.

Someone on the forum also experienced the corruption of the SD but that was attributed to not shutting down OctoPrint before switching off, so you might try to recover the SD by a full format.

13. Peter

Peter Member

I tried to resurrect that card for almost two hours today, but I think it was beyond repair. Didn't even get detected by any of the computers i stuck it into, neither mac, windows and linux. Anyway, got a new card and now the PI seems to be working ok, even the camera works.

Just tried flashing a precompiled HEX to the rumba, but it times out. Pressed the reset button on the rumba as well, just before and during the connection attempts by avrdude.. but no joy. I will try to flash from arduino on my laptop next... but I fear it's beyond repair. Anyone suggestions appreciated...

I'm still really worried about what initially happened. I dare hardly touch anything in fear of getting a discharge and frying something new. :(

Peter.

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

avrdude flashing through the pi wont work if the connection is set to AUTO. Change it to the /dev/ttyUSB0 one and then try again.

15. Peter

Peter Member

Hi,

You mean /usr/bin/avrdude -C/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -Uflash:w:marlin_hybrid_pro.hex:i

instead of /usr/bin/avrdude -C/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -P/dev/ttyACM0 -Uflash:w:marlin_hybrid_pro.hex:i

That doesn't seem to work either though... I will switch off the autoconnect and reboot the PI and try again. Update.. Didn't work either.

Peter.

#15 Peter, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  16. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Aha, I wasn't sure if you were working on the command line or through the Octo Print plugin. As it's the former then ignore me :)

17. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you do the command line just stop OctoPrint before: sudo service octoprint stop to be sure anything else has a connection open on the serial port...

18. Peter

Peter Member

Ah no worries! Well, I shall try a laptop to rumba firmware update with Arduino next.. if that doesn't work I'm not sure what I can do next. I have a jtag ice programmer but haven't used that thing in ages, don't even remember how!

19. Peter

Peter Member

Hi Alex, was a good idea and worth a shot.. but no banana...

Code:
    pi@octopi:~ $ sudo service octoprint stop
    pi@octopi:~ $ /usr/bin/avrdude -C/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -P/dev/ttyACM0 -Uflash:w:marlin_hybrid_pro.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.1, compiled on Jul  7 2015 at 10:29:47
             Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
             Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
             User configuration file is "/home/pi/.avrduderc"
             User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : /dev/ttyACM0
             Using Programmer              : wiring
    avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
    avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

avrdude done.  Thank you.

20. mike01hu