Stealth Toolchanger - RepRap3 and Duet 3 config - success!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mkudzia, Feb 5, 2020.

1. mkudzia

mkudzia Active Member

Now, problem I had with the E3DTC on Duet 2 with default settings is how loud it would get.
    Tweaking the currents didn't help much.
    So objective of the project was to get it as quiet as possible.

So I managed to successfully port my firmware settings to RepRap 3 (still on Duet 2) and then - moved my setup to the Duet 3 board with the 3CH extender.
    This was done because I needed the Trinamic drivers that support stealthchop2.
    After some tweaking of the settings (speed, Trinamic driver registry settings) I managed to come up with the X/Y axis motor settings that allow the printer to run pretty much inaudible - ofcourse there is the print speed penelty - but that helps with print quality..

Important point was configuring the drivers in a way that Stealthchop was always enabled, as Stealtchop <->Spreadcycle mode change do occasionally causes a skipped steps - and on xy motor that means a layer shift.

I have also replaced the Hotend fans with Noctua ones.
    I'm running 4 Hemera toolheads.
    I got down the current on Hemeras down 0.9A (they are rated at 1.3A max) - this helped prevent the heatcreep and materials like PLA/TPU grinding and jamming.
    This was mostly done as the Noctua extruder fans do pump a bit less air thru.

Still at 0.9A I have no extrusion problems.

And obviously, thanks to the fact Duet 3 has a dotstar port, added a nice LED strip that changes colour depending on the printer state for added PIMP factor.

Result? Even with 4 hot ends active (with all the fans) and printing - the noise level of the toolchanger is at ~45dB.
    My Prusa MK3S running in stealth mode is louder!

The config settings can be found here:
    https://github.com/mkudzia84/e3dtc-reprap3-conf

Pictures of my setup and some prints :)
    Most of the noise actually comes from Prusa (in Stealth mode) running on top :D

2. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this! You need to make your video public s that we can see it.

3. mkudzia

mkudzia Active Member

Done :)

4. Omnimuller Inc.

Love it - the noise was one of the biggest issues my neighbours had with my Toolchanger. This solved it perfectly.

Only thing left do do is to configure the sensorless homing for such low speeds. I take it this is the reason why you switched to regular Endstops? Can't really see them in your video, where did you install them?

5. Omnimuller Inc.

@mkudzia By the way, I just noticed: you have also uploaded your config.g.bak to github. It still contains your Wifi SSID and password - you might want to change/remove that