Stepper motor replacement procedure/spec

Discussion in 'Motion System' started by Jai Stanley, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Gents,

The stepper motor on the left of my printer as you look at it needs replacing, with the other side not far behind. Well, the bearings are failing I believe; clicking followed now by a gridy/teary noise whilst printing. Carefully sticking my hear near to the thing makes me suspect the motor bearings at least, could be the belt idlers/pulleys too/instead i s'pose..

I ran the default/provided firmware which seems to have the motors running hot. Also, my machine is partially enclosed and insulated and during the initial excitement of printing abs/polycarbonate I neglected to cool them properly so I haven't approached E3D for warranty replacements (chamber temps at 60 degrees at the top, passively heated by the heatbed). They were very hot to touch, but I wouldn't have said 80 degrees, though I didn't IR thermometer them so it's possible. Two stick-on 40mm heatsinks have since drastically reduced temperatures but I intend to either actively air-cool (40mm fan and heatsink) or watercool them (probably air).

Anyway: back to the crux of my post: Has E3D released/can they email me draft assembly instructions and specs for the motion system assembly? I want to replace the stepper motors/replace the current ones bearings. I'm sure I can work it all out, but I'm also pretty sure they will have at least working standards/SOP's for their assembly team. It would make my life easier (I'm a mech-eng. so can do it myself, but a reference is always appreciated!).

Thanks for any input in advance guys.

KR Jai.

2. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

We do of course have SOPs for our assembly team, but they are not in a publicly accessible location.

However so long as you don't move or touch the rails and carriages replacement of the motors will be easy.

Simply use the belt tensioners at the front to loosen off the belts, undo the screws holding in the motors and then remove the motors from the assembly. There should be no reason to undo anything else. But if the belts are still too tight you could remove the tool head and undo the belt clamps on the belt at the front of the printer (stepper motor side of the tool head).

Should be pretty simple to do.

If you find any of the idlers are damaged we sell them on the website.

3. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

Hi greg, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I assumed SOP's wouldn't be publicly available, just wondered if there was any drafts/pre-releases that I could crib from . Not to worry. I haven't built/tensioned a coreXY yet so was wondering if there were any knack points I'm not aware of.

If this is the case (holding the toolhead in place means minimum adjustment etc.) then I might park the toolhead and engage it so the tool is locked to the head, power off and use a light clamp to secure it to the frame whilst I'm working on the motors. Sound feasible?

If I find the idlers are shot I'll either replace the bearings (if I have any in the supplies here) or seek warranty replacements. There's no way user error could cause them to fail, and even at full chat the ambient air surrounding the mechanics never goes above 62 degrees. It would be nearly thermodynaically impossible for the components to reach the same temperature, insulation or no insulation... The motors I conceed got hot because the currents are high and they aren't able to sink heat out like they may had I not insulated the system.

Thank you again for your speedy help!

KR, Jai

Greg Holloway likes this.