Stepper upgrade (for Titan) beware

Discussion in 'Build Help' started by Paul Seccombe, May 27, 2016.

1. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

So I have been checking I have everything in order before stripping down my Bigbox to move over to Titan extruders. The only thing I hadn't checked was that the stepper motors I had bought were working. I had bought OMC 17HS10-0704S pancake motors which had the same plug and socket as the existing motors. I powered down and disconnected the Y axis plug from the stepper and plugged in one of the pancakes. On powering up and trying to move the stage it shuddered but didn't move. Trying the original motor resulted in no movement. I replaced the Y axis driver with the second extruder one and it was back to working. After ordering some replacement drivers I tried again with the same result. On further examination I have found that whilst the cable colours are the same, two of the cables are swapped around.....so much for standardisation. Rewiring the connections had the new steppers working.

Hopefully this will save someone else so pain (and drivers).

[​IMG]

Old_Tafr and JohnEsc like this.
  2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

@Francesco Maybe the same with your motor stepper wires?

3. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

yes i found the same problem yesterday while testing everything on he cable connected to the driver that took fire. Since this motor was secondary before the hybrid change, it was never used. On hybrid it was on the primary extruder of my dual and boom.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well you can't damage anything really with switched motor cables. Your motor will just turn the other direction or not move at all. It could be nasty to debug later so...

#4 Alex9779, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  5. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Than the fire was because of something else.

6. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Must be. Read it up for example in the Marlin config at the settings for the motor directions. You can either set it in the firmware or just turn the motor cable by 180° which actually changes the motor direction three times but this is just the other direction it had before...

7. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Thursday, hopefully, the come and fetch my burned stuff for e3d to look at it.

8. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Actually all of my motor wires are swapped in one end .... Weird, because all was working!!

9. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

I poped 3 drivers the other day with pancake steppers this explains why, Thanks

10. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Well, swapping the two inside wires normally should be ok and not cause breakage of drivers. I suggest you guys check the A/V ratings of the motors. Anyhow always best check pairs before connecting, something I do with a led.

11. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Check (with an LED) which is? (please)

12. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Just take a led and connect to the wires. If the led goes on when you rotate the motor, you got a coil pair.
    Alternatively, connect the wires (short them) two at the time. When you find very hard to rotate, you got a coil pair.

Old_Tafr likes this.
  13. Old_Tafr

You possibly have to try the LED in both directions on a specific pair of wires? but sounds like a good simple approach.

14. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

You need a certain direction of the led, for the polarity. Try and you will see. Shortening is easier.

15. Old_Tafr

I will try on spare motor, and thinking about it rotating one way or the other the LED will light....will post result :)

16. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

17. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Even with swapped wires, these pancake motors WILL blow the driver boards. I just blew two!.
    DO NOT USE PANCAKE STEPPER MOTORS: 17HS10-0704S

18. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

@Steven did you reduce the current through the motors? In another thread I talk about the motors running hot so had to reduce the current, but with them wired correctly they seem to work fine for many other users.

19. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I'm using the 17HS08-1004S motors without any incident as well, with the voltage reduced to 0.3V.

20. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

So I f I try .3v is it possible the drivers are not bad? (even though they wont move the original motors) ?

cez likes this.