Strange issue with printing ABS...

Discussion in 'General' started by Archania, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    I came across a strange issue (well for me anyway) and seeking some understanding here.
    I have printed with abs before. Made a box for my printer too to help with keeping the heat in there. The couple of pieces I made came out great so totally confused with this one.
    I tried it without a raft then with a raft and it was working but now got separation between some layers and a complete operation on one leg.
    Any ideas here as to why and if any how to prevent? Was thinking of making the walls thicker.

Attached Files:

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Did I read somewhere that ABS hates a cooling fan? Your print makes it look like there's a layer adhesion issue. When the layer doesn't adhere well to the previous layer, you then have a warping issue that gets worse the longer you print. I've yet to play with ABS so I'm no expert for sure.

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Archania

Thanks. I'll try to drop the temp some more and see what happens. Strange though. It did great for 2 prints in white without an issue.
    Thanks though all.

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Experimenting with ABS the raft came out perfect three layers and I can't break it......... at this point no cooling, the print is wide and thin and long just splits, I had fans at 40% so what I have read is possibly true bed at 110 but no cooling of the print itself.

6. Samuel Kolanowski

I've been experimenting with Black Verbatim ABS also, So far this is what I've found.
    1. It sticks well at first, but as the print progresses it cools and then lifts the edges from the hot bed (120°c)
    So I need to keep the Ambient Temp as high as possible, by putting a cardboard box around the printer to keep the air in.
    And Placing blue painters tape over the bed, and spraying with strong hold hair spray, helps the bed adhesion.

2. the layers split easily, or even have splits.
    I reduced the outside perimeter print speed S3d > "edit process settings" > "other" tab > Outline Underspeed = 30%,
    and lowered the layer height > "Layer" Tab to 0.2000mm
    And the extruder temp was raised (245°c)

Hopefully these Simplify3d *.fff settings will help, and then any further improvements can also be shared?

-edit- These pictures show my ABS print with the old settings, im also disassembling the motion system, and going to try and put it back together with more precision.. and hopefully fix the z issue.

Attached Files:

#7 Samuel Kolanowski, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. Archania

Will have to try that Samuel.
    I can print white fine, it was the black that didn't like me.

8. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Split layers usually points to the extruder temperature being too low and too much cooling, so try 260°C and control the cooling fan speed for the early layers. I do not think enclosing the printer will make much difference.

9. Archania

I have my office in the basement. So wanted to keep most of the heat for ambient temp around the printer. So the enclosure helps.. or at least i think it does.

10. Samuel Kolanowski

Ive found the box to be a good improvement, The ABS is sticking and not warping as much = Not as many failures.

11. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

Black ABS must be printed about 10C lower then white in my experience. Something to do with the color additives i think.

12. Archania

Ya its a pita. I just finished a print with E3D abs and it went good. Had to switch to hatchbox to print another job since I ran out and it doesn't like the settings I used for the E3D.
    Going to need a notebook to keep all the temps and settings correct for each machine.

13. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

Know the feeling.