Strange support behaviour in S3D

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Dr Jeep, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

Ok so sorry I know not strictly a BB question, but I bought S3D with my BB and the community here are one of the most helpful.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1607553/#files

So when printing this part...I need support for the 1.5mm overhang down each side. In S3D if I do "Add support" and set the support pillar resolution to 1mm and click generate supports then, yup it generates the supports under that ledge as I'd expect.

But when I slice the model I get strange behaviour where the support only appears on one side of the model in the sliced preview (and in the print itself) If I put 5 of these objects on the bed before I slice then I get some with both sides supported, some with one and some with none !

Before I go to S3D support can someone verify that behaviour on their copy, just in case it is something specific to my profiles or installation.

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

This echos the behaviour I found when printing Chase's design for his Titan motor mount.

Two of the motor bolt holes (one vertically above the other) had support in them, the other two didn't. In s3d I had not configured any support manually, just had the "Generate support" box ticked.

3. Dr Jeep

Hmm I've fired of a support request to S3D with my fff file and the stl in question so we will see how responsive their support is next week.

Old_Tafr likes this.
  4. Dr Jeep

Hehe as long shot I put the model through Netfabb model repair...that version shows no supports at all on the preview when I slice it :eek:

5. Dr Jeep

and I've just discovered I think that the problem is specific to the E3D supplied profile, if I pick one of my old K8200 profiles all is fine, hopefully S3D can tell us what the problem is as maybe it is a profile bug rather than a software one ?

6. Dr Jeep

heh even stranger, so I mirrored the support settings from my k8200 profile (just detail changes in distance from part etc) and wow got one part with both sides having supports...put 5 on the bed and the two end ones slice with no supports. Took them all off and put 3 on, one had no supports. so put 5 back on sliced, then went back and took off the two with no supports...sliced again and I have 3 with supports now. erk if it looks like a bug and tastes like a bug......

7. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Fact is that's a bum piece to 3d print.

If it were shorter you could print it vertical.

You know that you can do "generate supports" (automatically) AND THEN add further supports manually?

So you could go down the empty side fill it all in by hand and then Sunday go for a road trip with the picnic on the roof as planned! ;-)

8. Dr Jeep

I could make it shorter and print vertical I just need 3M worth, that was the original intention but I think I'd have to do bridges to print them as a group as the experiment toppled at about 100cm....it was also going to take a very long time to print them in that direction :)