Stringing, Squeaking, and Skipping Steps

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by DocTrucker, Dec 18, 2017.

1. DocTrucker

DocTrucker Member

Hi All,

I'm getting stringing, occasional squeaking from the titan, and what I think are skipped steps.

I've had issues with PLA, ABS, and a TPU.

My retraction is 2mm (think that's max for the V6 isn't it?) and pressure advance is set up on the Duet v0.6 as follows:

M572 D0 S0.1

I've a long bowden tube on this system. I'm running the standard Motech MT-1701HSM140AE at 1300mA and it's hot to touch. On the quicker print speeds I can hear a 'wup' sound and it seems like the pressure in the bowden has reversed the stepper. I don't think this is retraction as it often happens in solid infill. Am i simply trying to print too fast? Need a bigger stepper?

I'm finding the titan a little fussy on mounting to get it running smoothly and it often squeaks loudly mid print on occasion.

Advise welcome. I'm plodding on trying different extrusion temps as I'm not sure how accurate my hot end temp reading is. How do you calibrate this or is it simply trial and error? IR sensors don't tend to read accurate from small shiny metal targets.

2. DocTrucker

DocTrucker Member

Ok, just looked through the E3D documents and think the 2mm retraction is for the direct. I'll try 4mm.

3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

The maximum is about 2mm retraction at the heat break input. The longer the Bowden tube, the greater the difference between the retraction at the extruder and retraction at the heatbreak. My delta uses a Titan extruder, 600mm long Bowden tube, and an E3Dv6. I use 6mm retraction and 0.1 to 0.2 pressure advance. Before I turned on pressure advance, I needed 7mm retraction to avoid getting zits on the print just before travel moves.

It's normal for the extruder drive to go into reverse at the end of a fast printing move that has to decelerate to zero speed at the end. That's part of what pressure advance does. But on my delta, it doesn't make a wump sound when it does so.