Switch to Volcano

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Alex9779, Mar 15, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm going to start experimenting with a dual carriage system like the BCN Sigma when possible.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

For me there are two main goals:
    • Being able to switch hotends
    • Maximizing build volume
    With the current BB design I see only one advantage in a dual carriage system and that is you lower the weight of the printing head and are able to print faster. You gain no build volume because the motion system is just enough to move the head to the spots where the bed ends and you have no extra space where you can keep the unused head. Only the ooze dock is a bit more out of the way. The BCN Sigma has extra space to move left and right. The BB does not have that space. And a change of the head in Y direction is impossible because of the the two X rods.
    Ok you could extend the right side next to the ooze dock. Have to change the case a little. But I am wondering how to get a head between the two X rods?

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh well a complete redesign of the XY carriages could be done to get rid of the two X rods and mount the head in a removable position but still I don't see the space to keep the unused head.

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Is there no way to print some kind of adapter ring to fit between the print head and the heat sink: to lower it just enough to compensate for the difference in height between the V6 and volcano?

The ring would need both to be gripped by the existing screws and be capable of gripping the heat sink.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Think that would be possible. Just make a fake E3D heat sink at the top and at the bottom so that it is the same as the normal mount with the grub screws.
    Only thing is that you have to extend the teflon tube about the amount the coupler is long...

6. Russell

Russell Member

I know this is from ages ago, but has anyone progressed with a working solution to switching out the hotends between Volcano and normal e3d ones? Im on a Volcano 0.6 atm, and have some fine detail I want to achieve with a 0.25, but avoiding it due to the hassle of switching everything out.