IN DEVELOPMENT Switching the LM8LUU to IGUS drylin®

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by JesperJuul, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

Since we're in the middle (hopefully almost at an end) of a remodeling of our home I'm haven't been able to build either BB's... So I can't comment on your question at the moment. When I do start building I'm definitely going to share the progress here ;)

2. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

I did find on the Misumi web site a compact version of the linear bushings that shaves 2mm off of the OD. A 2mm difference between 8mm bushings and a 10mm bushing might make the use of 10mm shafts possible. I noticed yesterday the deflection in the x axis in my BB of about 0.1mm. I don't know if mesh bed leveling could overcome this; it would require a sensor capable of that resolution, consistent z positioning at a resolution better than 0.1mm and a set of mesh positions that at least include the middle of the bed.

Anyone else have any thoughts/comments?

3. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Mesh bed levelling does overcome it and you should definitely be using it.

But it would still be best to have a stiffer Y axis. Watch the thread on the independent X carriages which improves X rigidity with a new rod arrangement. After implementing that will be a good moment to redesign the X motor and X idler carriages to work with a new bushing and bigger rails. I'd kind of like to have two smaller bushings on each rail, placed further apart than the ends of the current bushing.

4. W1EBR.Gene

W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

Would you just accept the reduction in print area as an acceptable compromise?

There is room for a second, short LM8UU bushing on the rear x-axis rod. I don't know if it is worthwhile taking things apart just to add one.

What firmware version are you using that includes at least 3x3 MBL routine?